On the Web:
- A Cut in a Controversial ACH Fee Pleases Big-Box Retailer Group, But a Bank Shrugs - Digital Transactions - “What is really in question is what does the 5.2-cent fee look like once it gets in the hands of the banks that originate ACH,” he says. “Will it be just 5.2 cents or will they find an excuse to raise it beyond 5.2 cents?”
- WePay raises $40M to take its marketplace payment platform global - Venture Beat - "WePay facilitates payments for marketplaces and crowdfunding sites like Care.com, Custom Made, and GoFundMe. It also provides payment services for invoicing platforms like Freshbooks. WePay competes with Stripe and Braintree, though CEO Bill Clerico says it differentiates itself by heavily investing in fraud prevention."
- Some thoughts following our $40M funding - WePay Blog -
- What Bitcoin's History Means For Its Future: Q&A With Nathaniel Popper, Author Of 'Digital Gold' - Forbes.com - "This is money that can, in itself, be transferred very quickly anywhere very cheaply without needing to go through a central institution that can say yes or no or screw up or add security risk into the equation.'
- Theft of Debit-Card Data From ATMs Soars - Wall St. Journal - "From January to April 9, 2015, the number of attacks on debit cards used at ATMs reached the highest level for that period in at least 20 years, according to FICO, a credit-scoring and analytics firm."
- Fraud Worries: Debit vs. Credit Cards - Wall St. Journal - "Criminals are stealing card data from U.S. automated teller machines at the highest rate in two decades, preying on ATMs while merchants crack down on fraud at the checkout counter."
- WordPress Parent Automattic Buys WooCommerce, a Shopping Tool for Web Publishers - Re/code.net - "WooCommerce helps WordPress publishers sell stuff, via a software plugin that turns sites into online stores, and competes with the likes of Shopify and Bigcommerce. The company says its software powers more than 600,000 sites."
- New SDKs, Code Samples, & Docs for Login and Pay with Amazon - Amazon Web Services Blog - "The team has been working to make it even easier for you to add one-time checkout and recurring payments to your application. They have created new PHP, Python, and Ruby SDKs, coded up some helpful interactive and self-documenting samples, and refreshed the documentation."
- Citi: UK Government Should Create Own Digital Currency - CoinDesk - "Citi believes governments and banks should be at the centre of the “technological shift beyond paper and credit cards” into more digital forms of money. “To be a key participant may mean that banks and governments need to work together to develop digital currencies that supercede the existing physical and electronic solutions,” Citi adds."
On the Wires:
- NYSE to Launch NYSE Bitcoin Index, NYXBT - “Bitcoin values are quickly becoming a data point that our customers want to follow as they consider transacting, trading or investing with this emerging asset class,” said NYSE Group President Thomas Farley. “As a global index leader and administrator of ICE LIBOR, ICE Futures U.S. Dollar Index and many other notable benchmarks, we are pleased to bring transparency to this market. By combining our technology infrastructure with our expertise in index calculation and data management, we will continue to launch complimentary products based on our rigorous standards and proprietary index methodology.”
- The BPCE Group and Oberthur Technologies Launch a World-Exclusive Innovation: the First Dynamic Cryptogram Payment Card - "Banque Populaire and Caisse d’Epargne, in association with Natixis Payment Solutions and Oberthur Technologies (OT), a world leader in digital security solutions, announce the pilot of the first payment card integrating Motion CodeTM, OT’s dynamic cryptogram solution. This world-first replaces the three-figure security code on the back of the card with a 'mini-screen' displaying a code that automatically changes periodically."
- TA Associates Announces Investment in Procare Software - "Procare’s payment processing offering, Tuition Express®, allows for automated collection of tuition, fees and other payments, and is directly integrated into the company’s software suite. Tuition Express helps increase the reliability of billing information, simplify reconciliation and reduce duplicate data entry."
- Telecom Companies Gain Easy, Digital Way to Collect Cash Payments Through PayNearMe and Telinta Partnership - "Having an easy way to pay for telecom services is a necessity for all consumers," said Danny Shader, PayNearMe's founder and CEO. "This partnership helps friends and families stay in touch across thousands of miles, regardless of whether they choose to pay through plastic or cash. Telecom service providers who use PayNearMe will find that it is a unique competitive advantage over others in the industry who are not yet serving this segment of the population."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews