ON THE WEB
- PayPal Credit expands to the UK with an interest-free option for purchases over £150 - TechCrunch - "This is the first market for PayPal Credit outside of the U.S., where it launched in 2014 (as a rebranded and expanded Bill Me Later) along with a PayPal Extras MasterCard physical credit card, issued by Synchrony, and a money transfer service."
- Is FinTech Forcing Banking to a Tipping Point? - The CIO Report (WSJ) - “Investments have risen “from $1.8 billion in 2010 to $19 billion in 2015 -with over 70% of this investment focusing on the last mile of user experience in the consumer space. The majority of this investment has also been concentrated in the payments area...”
- You Can Get A Gift Card For Signing Up And Using Samsung Pay - Android Central - "From Friday, April 15 to May 10, anyone in the U.S. who has already signed up for Samsung Pay and makes their first three purchases will receive a free $30 gift card."
- Airbnb Just Brought On A Team Of Bitcoin Experts From A Tiny Startup - Business Insider - "The $16 billion company "acqui-hired" approximately seven engineers from the bitcoin company who had worked on ChangeTip, a feature that enabled individuals to tip each other with the digital currency via Twitter or Reddit."
- Affirm Secures $100M In Series D Funding To Expand Beyond Loans - TechCrunch - "Affirm loans have no late fees, no compound interest, and no “balance” to be carried. This is a stark contrast to a credit card which will exponentially compound your interest for each month you carry a balance."
- Understanding ISO 20022: A Resource Guide for Financial Institutions, Corporations, and the Public - Remittance Coalition Vendor Forum - "This resource guide was authored by the ISO 20022 Education and Promotion Work Group of the Remittance Coalition’s Vendor Forum. The Work Group has identified resources available to drive a broader understanding of the ISO 20022 standard and its applications in the market, categorized these resources, and compiled them into one easy-to-navigate document for public use."
ON THE WIRES
- ACH Volume Grows by 5.6 Percent Adding 1.3 Billion Payments in 2015 - "Specifically in the B2B transaction categories, CTX and CCD, ACH volume saw substantial increases. CTX transactions grew by 7.2% and CCD transactions grew by 8.2%. Healthcare payments, a specific CCD transaction, grew to 208 million transactions, or 39%."
- JPMorgan Chase Reports First Quarter 2016 Financial Results - Jamie Dimon, Chairman and CEO, commented on the financial results: “We delivered solid results this quarter with strong underlying drivers. The consumer businesses continue to grow loans and deposits impressively, attracting deposits faster than the industry.”
- Bank of America Reports First-Quarter 2016 Financial Results - ""This quarter, we benefited from good consumer and commercial banking activity. Our business segments earned $4.5 billion, up 16% from the year-ago quarter."
- USA Technologies Unveils ePort® Interactive for Unattended Retail - "The ePort Interactive platform enables customers to engage with consumers through loyalty programs and onscreen functionality, providing a superior customer experience through instant refunds, nutritional information and feedback capabilities."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!