On the web:
- The Dick Durbin Debit Card Fiasco - Defining Ideas (Hoover Institution/Richard Epstein) - "Judge Leon’s decision may be correct under the statute, but the statute is incorrect under the Constitution. It is time for the Supreme Court to stop the senseless damage from Dick Durbin’s favorite amendment."
- Square for iOS gets payment recording and tracking, cash management and Bluetooth printer support for iPad - The Next Web - "Again, if you are looking to move away from traditional cash registers to Square, this is a very important update."
- Shuttle, Adyen’s mPOS Play, Beefs Up Its European Footprint With 3 More Markets, Taking Its Tally To 17 - TechCrunch - "Adyen’s Shuttle sets itself apart from mPOS rivals by using a combination of a mobile card reader keypad device, where the credit or debit card owner keys in their PIN, linked up to a mobile app that the merchant uses on another device, such as an iPad or Android tablet."
- Bitcoin exchange Mt.Gox reveals technical upgrades to boost performance - GigaOm - "In a blog post on Monday, the Mt.Gox team said the service had moved from being externally hosted to being self-hosted, a shift that will apparently allow greater flexibility and control."
- Will a fingerprint sensor be Apple’s next hit? - InvasiveCode - "Why do we need one on the iPhone or iPad? To make payments? I don’t think so."
On the wires:
- MoneyGram Launches New Service at U.S. Locations That Allows PayPal Users to Withdraw Funds from Their PayPal Accounts - "PayPal’s 55 million active U.S. account holders can now initiate a withdrawal from their accounts – online or via mobile – and pick up the funds at any MoneyGram location in the United States."
- PreCash Launches Virtual Payments Platform to “Fix” Bill Pay by Adding Speed, Convenience and Lower Prices - "PreCash PayConnect is a mobile and online bill pay platform that gives companies vying for a share of the emerging digital and mobile wallet market an easy way to offer fast, convenient, low cost payments."
- Moneris Solutions and TouchBistro to Provide Integrated Payment Solution - "...they have partnered to provide an iPad® payment solution with end-to-end encrypted processing for U.S. customers."
- HID Global Fuels Adoption of Layered Authentication Solutions to Protect Online and Mobile Banking Transactions - "We are seeing and serving accelerating demand for seamless, risk-based solutions that enable banks to tailor authentication choices for a wide variety of customers using their on-line and mobile services."
- Orange Botswana and Visa to enable Orange Money customers to make Visa ATM withdrawals and payments in store and online - "Orange Botswana and Visa, a global payments technology company, today announced that Orange Money subscribers in Botswana now have access to Visa payment functionality when using their Orange Money accounts."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews