ON THE WEB
- Why M-Pesa failed in South Africa - BBC - "Vodacom had to partner with a bank to provide the financial service on its platform. Nedbank was its choice - and although it is one of the largest banks in South Africa, the perception is that it caters for middle-class and high-income earners."
- World’s largest payments network Visa plans blockchain push from India - Economic Times - "Visa, which is globally also betting big on blockchain —the underlying technology that powers crypto-currency Bitcoin — is also planning to have its teams in India working on many aspects of blockchain in the near term."
- Simplee raises $20M to ease medical payments process - Silicon Valley Business Journal - "Social Capital led the Series C round with participation from existing investors 83North and Heritage Group and new investor American Express Ventures."
- Consumers Struggle When Using EMV Cards for the First Time - eMarketer - "The leading complaint when using an EMV or chip card was that the transaction stalled or delayed; 57.8% of respondents said it did."
ON THE WIRES
- Linq3 Partners with Verifone to Bring Play at the Pump Lottery to Gas Stations - "Play at the Pump brings the lottery to busy consumers, delivering a fast, convenient and secure way to play and win on-the-go. With a quick swipe of a payment card at the gas pump, consumers can purchase lottery draw games in less than 20 seconds."
- TSYS Signs Leading African Banking Group - "TSYS today announced that Ecobank, the leading pan-African banking group, has deployed the latest version of the PRIME payments solution platform, PRIME 4, to support its acquirer processing of MasterCard, Visa and UnionPay International point-of-sale (POS) transactions across 28 countries in Middle Africa."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!