On the Web:
- Square raises more money to make small business loans - Fortune - "The company announced on Tuesday that Square Capital, its loan-making division, has raised an additional investment from previous backer, Chicago-based Victory Park Capital ..."
- Bitcoin may never make it to Wall Street, but its tech will - Wired - "Angel refers to this concept as “the stockchain,” and like Peterson, he sees Nasdaq’s private market technology as a stepping stone to a blockchain-based public market."
- Blockchain Tech Could Improve Banking, Says EBA Report - CoinDesk - "Blockchain technology has the potential to reduce costs, improve product offerings and increase speed for banks, according to the most recent report from the Euro Banking Association (EBA)."
- Blockchain technology spells the end of middlemen - Canadian Business - "Blockchain technology’s potential beyond bitcoin is huge: It could replace the multi-trillion-dollar market in third-party verification services that underpins the modern global economy. Services and institutions that act as middlemen to facilitate and verify financial transactions, contract relationships, record-keeping and asset transfers could all be disrupted by blockchains..."
On the Wires:
- New GSMA Report Finds That Latin America and the Caribbean Have Fastest Growth in Mobile Financial Services Globally - “Great progress has been made in deepening financial inclusion in Latin America and the Caribbean over the last three years,” said Sebastian Cabello, Head, GSMA Latin America. “The region has seen a major increase in the number of adults with bank accounts, however, approximately half of all adults in LAC still remain unbanked. Mobile money services are a powerful tool for expanding financial access in developing markets and will play a critical role in continuing to build a healthy digital financial ecosystem in the region.”
- Accenture and Moven Join Forces to Transform Digital Banking Solutions - “We set out to change what the world thinks of as a day-to-day bank account, starting from scratch with mobile, and providing customers with advice on spending and savings,” said Brett King, Moven’s CEO and founder. “The alliance with Accenture will be invaluable in helping us mobilize our services globally as we grow to tens of millions of users in a dozen countries. Accenture's phenomenal footprint with the biggest banks in the world, combined with the digital and end-user experience from Accenture Interactive and Fjord, made it the only choice for this global alliance partnership."
- American Express Board Authorizes Repurchase of up to 150 Million Shares, Announces 12 Percent Dividend Increase - "As previously announced on March 11, 2015, the company was informed that the Federal Reserve did not object to the company’s 2015 capital plan to repurchase up to $6.6 billion of common shares through the second quarter of 2016, as well as to increase the company’s quarterly dividend to $0.29 per share beginning with the second quarter 2015 dividend declaration."
- Zoho Introduces ACH Payments in its Financial Suite with Forte - "Zoho is now able to offer their customers the ability to accept ACH/eChecks, credit and debit card payments quickly and with confidence using Forte’s robust processing services. In addition, each account includes unlimited access to Forte’s payment gateway, virtual terminal, online reporting and payment tokenization and storage services."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews