On the Web:
- Adventures in Attribution – The Apple vs. MCX Dialog - PaymentsViews.com (Bryan Derman) - "My instinct is that this discussion is mostly an inside debate among a group of obsessive payments professionals who have waited most of a decade for this moment of mobile payment epiphany (my kind of people, to be honest)."
- Alibaba, Apple Talks on Payments Tie-Up Focused on China - Wall St. Journal - "A senior Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. executive said Tuesday that a payment alliance between Apple Inc. and the Chinese e-commerce giant's financial-services affiliate would focus on the Chinese market..."
- Here's why an Apple + Alibaba Payment System Alliance would be Great for Apple - Patently Apple - "Allowing Apple's new iPhone 6 customer-base to use Apple Pay to make transactions on Alibaba's online properties would be a huge deal for Apple in China and around the world."
- Apple Pay Has Retail CIOs Rethinking How Customers Pay - CIO - "There are two unknowns here, too: How many people will actually use Apple Pay, and who's going to pay for it."
- IroFit Scores $600K Seed Round For “Internet-Free” Mobile Payment Tech Targeting Emerging Markets - TechCrunch - "The soon-to-launch Helsinki company offers a mobile platform for small businesses to accept card payments via a mobile app and EMV-certified card reader, underpinned by various business management features."
- Stripe CEO: Global Payments Are Just Getting Started - Forbes - "What we did for them is made it possible for any Stripe user to accept payments via Alipay," Collison said. "This is the first time a lot of these western businesses could transact with people in China. It was so crazy to me that this was still a problem to be solved in 2014."
- Intuit adds BitPay to PayByCoin - BitPay Blog - "Intuit’s addition of BitPay will allow 624,000 businesses who use Intuit’s Quickbooks Online to accept bitcoin payments with the global leader in bitcoin payment processing."
- FinCEN Releases Statement Encouraging Banks to Offer Services to Money Service Businesses (MSBs) - Virtual Currency Report - "The release of the statement coincides with the 2014 American Bankers Association Anti-Money Laundering Conference, held in Washington D.C., where Director Jennifer Shasky Calvery addressed many of the Nation’s banking leaders in a keynote address where she highlighted the statement and encouraged banks to improve their evaluation of MSB account applicants rather than avoid the business type altogether."
On the Wires:
- Worldpay Announces Agreement to Acquire SecureNet Payment Systems - "SecureNet is a market leader in multi-channel commerce technology and has pioneered the payment industry’s only cloud-based solution that seamlessly integrates point-of-sale, mobile and eCommerce payments processing, inventory management and data analytics for merchants."
- Revel Systems, POS Industry Leader, Secures $100 Million in Series C Funding to Set the New Standard for Point-of-Sale - "The round includes an initial $65 million investment from WCAS and an additional $25 million equity line available from WCAS. Sanjay Swani, a general partner at WCAS and Co-Head of the WCAS Information/Business Services industry practice, will join Revel's Board of Directors."
- American Express Partners with Intacct to Help Mid-Market Companies Save Time & Hassles by Making Commercial Payments Via the Cloud - "Launching today, the Intacct Check Delivery Service will enable businesses to send check payments to suppliers and have their general ledger automatically updated – all with a click of a button. Additional card- and non-card payment solutions from American Express and Intacct will be coming soon."
- Merchant Link and Mocapay Announce Mobile Payments Alliance - "With the agreement, Merchant Link merchants will be able to accept mobile transactions and allow customers to interact with the merchant brand from any mobile device. Consumers can interact via the merchants’ branded mobile app allowing them to make credit card purchases, purchase and redeem gift cards, participate in loyalty programs and take advantage of merchant promotions."
- Mozido to Integrate MasterCard Solutions into Its Mobile Payments and Services Offering - “Mozido’s mobile ecosystem brings easier, more attainable financial and mobile marketing services to merchants and customers. Their focus on the underserved is especially compelling,” said Ron Hynes, group executive, Global Prepaid, MasterCard. “Mozido’s strength in building versatile mobile financial and retail solutions that translate across borders makes the company a great partner for our prepaid card, payment, and security services.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews