ON THE WEB
- PayPal to halt operations in Turkey after losing license, impacts ‘hundreds of thousands’ - TechCrunch - "Asked why the license was denied, the spokesperson said that it was a result of new rules that require IT systems to be localized in the country. PayPal distributes its IT across several global hubs."
- How mobile technology is changing the way you pay - Economic Times - "This offering from the National Payments Corporation of India makes transferring funds as simple as sending an SMS. All you need is an user ID linked to your bank accounts."
- Bitcoin price jumps 21 percent over 4 days, reaching a 21-month high - TechCrunch - "Increasingly, bitcoin’s price variations are correlated with macroeconomic trends in China. These trends tell us that China still fears a deflation."
- Facing the Financial Industry’s Cyber Challenge With Lessons From IT History - Wall St. Journal - "Transforming something as complex as the financial ecosystem is a tall order, but as any student of IT history can tell you, the emergence of disruptive technologies can bring together key stakeholders."
- The Rise and Retreat of the Megabank - Wall St. Journal - "Citigroup’s evolution shows the aspirations and shortcomings of the modern bank"
- Bangladesh Panel Hints at Possible Insider Role in Central Bank Theft - Wall St. Journal - "Speaking after submitting the committee’s final report to the Bangladeshi Finance Ministry, Mr. Farashuddin also pointed to the possible complicity of central bank officials in the theft, one of the largest bank heists in history."
- It’s no fun when Amex throws your startup a Curve ball - FT Alphaville - "Curve is a commercial card, not a consumer card, meaning that it is exempt from the cap."
ON THE WIRES
- Payveris Raises Additional $7.5 Million in Funding - "Through its suite of open APIs and widgets, Payveris provides financial institutions and their digital banking partners with unlimited control and flexibility of the user experience across any digital channel or application, enabling money to be moved to anyone, anywhere, anytime and with any device – all of this on a single, unified platform."
- GoSwiff appoints Mark Patrick as new CEO - "Before joining GoSwiff, Mr. Patrick was Managing Director Asia Pacific for Ingenico ePayments, the online and mobile commerce division of Ingenico Group."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!