ON THE WEB
- How This $2.3 Billion Swedish Company Plans to Dominate the U.S. Payments Sector - Inc. - "Klarna, for that matter, is not your average payments processor. By partnering with merchants, the system allows customers to purchase an item simply by entering their name, email address, and zip code."
- Amazon Web Services Takes Aim at Big Banks - "The company’s Amazon Web Services unit has been approaching banks such as Citigroup Inc., Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., people familiar with the matter said."
- JPMorgan Quietly Tests ‘Blockchain’ With 2,200 Clients - Wall St. Journal - "The nation’s largest bank has been testing the program in recent months to move U.S. dollars for about 2,200 clients between the two financial centers using a version of the “blockchain” technology that underpins bitcoin..."
- Mastercard Is Expanding Its 'Selfie Pay' Capabilities - Fortune - "When making a purchase online from a merchant that requires identity verification, cardholders can authorize the transaction by holding up their phones as if taking a selfie and blinking..."
- Getting Rid of Big Currency Notes Could Help Fight Crime - New York Times - "Getting rid of big bills will make it harder for criminals to do business and make it easier for law enforcement to detect illicit activity."
- Reserve Bank says Australian dollars could come in digital form in future - Sydney Morning Herald - "In a speech where he also flagged the end of the cheque, Mr Richards said the RBA had been watching the growth in demand for privately-established virtual currencies like Bitcoin, and believed there was a place for a central-bank-issued digital currency in Australia."
- The Ongoing Evolution of the Australian Payments System - Reserve Bank of Australia (Tony Richards) - "Today's conference is on payments innovation and I would like to speak about some ways that our payments system is evolving, both in terms of some innovative new payment instruments that are on their way and the declining use of some of our older or legacy payment instruments."
- UK FinTech: Regulating for innovation - FCA (Christopher Woolard) - "How can regulation foster innovation in financial services? And as part of that how can we ensure that we have a regulatory environment fit for future innovation?"
ON THE WIRES
- Trusona Launches From Stealth, Introducing Industry's First Identity-Proofing & Authentication Platform for When You Truly Need to Know - "Trusona is the only identity authentication solution to offer in-person identity-proofing, secure distribution of a TruToken that exceeds National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) level 4 standards and patented anti-replay technology. Trusona's core technology has experienced zero fraud in over 119 million transactions to date, allowing Trusona to provide 100 percent security assurance backed by actuarial data."
- Giesecke & Devrient’s CloudPay Solution to Offer MasterCard Tokens for Issuer Wallets - "A leading mobile payment provider, G&D becomes the first third-party company to offer MDES tokenization services to issuing banks."
- Popular Community Bank Launches Mobile Cash Withdrawal at the ATM - "Mobile Cash allows customers to quickly make withdrawals by logging into the app using a passcode or Touch ID™ and scanning the QR code on the ATM to dispense cash securely."
- JPMorgan Chase 2016 Investor Day - "On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:30 a.m. (Eastern), JPMorgan Chase & Co. will hold an Investor Day in New York City with presentations given by Jamie Dimon, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and members of executive management."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson will be at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona THIS WEEK. Let her know if you are also there!
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!