ON THE WEB
- Starbucks to Expand Customer Rewards Program Beyond Its Coffee Shops - Wall St. Journal - "The Starbucks prepaid Visa card, which is expected to be available by the end of the year, would allow card holders to earn “stars” for all purchases made on the card, which can then be redeemed at Starbucks cafes."
- Square Teams Up With Facebook to Offer Ads That Can Be Gauged - New York Times - "Under the agreement, small businesses that use Square to process payments can buy and target Facebook advertising using Square’s software. Square will make subscription fees off the new product."
- Is Bitcoin Really Frictionless? - Liberty Street Economics - New York Fed - "In this blog post, we show that while bitcoin transfers themselves are relatively frictionless for the user, there are significant frictions when bitcoins trade in exchange markets resulting in meaningful and persistent price differences across bitcoin exchanges. These exchange-related frictions reduce the incentive of market participants to use bitcoin as a payments alternative."
- Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Blog - "Android Pay will support MasterCard and Visa credit and debit cards from many of the UK’s major financial institutions — including Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank, MBNA and Nationwide Building Society — with new banks being added all the time."
- Chip-Card Payment System Delays Frustrate Retailers - New York Times - "Many of the complications were widely predicted, but the certification system has added an unexpected wrinkle — and lots of finger-pointing."
- Court Case Over States’ Interest Rates Might Have Big Impact - Wall St. Journal - "The industry fears a change could impair their ability to sell or securitize certain debt, going so far as to pull back lending in states with stricter caps."
ON THE WIRES
- MasterCard to Bring Android Pay to Cardholders in the UK - “We're excited to bring the simplicity and security of mobile payments to MasterCard customers with Android Pay. Soon, people will be able to use their Android device to pay at the hundreds of thousands of contactless payment terminals in the UK,” said Pali Bhat, Senior Director, Product Management, Google.
- Debit Cards Gaining on Cash for Small Purchases - "There's a clear generational divide: 41% of people under age 50 prefer cash for small transactions and 40% like debit. Among those 50 and older, cash is the runaway winner (74%). Millennials are the most likely to use debit (46%) and credit cards (18%)."
- UATP Partners With Payment Technology Specialist Limonetik - "As an Alternative Payment Method Aggregator, Limonetik offers over 150 different payment options across the globe which will be available to UATP Merchants through the partnership. Airlines will easily be able to fulfill their AFP needs with UATP and Limonetik."
- EPC To Fed Chair: Durbin Amendment Rewards Retailers $36 Billion in Additional Profits, But Provides No Relief to Consumers - “Regulators and policy makers should consider the economic consequences for the most vulnerable when promulgating new regulations and recognize that the Durbin Amendment, rather than helping with this worthwhile goal, merely aided retailers to pocket $36 billion dollars to date.”
- Global Payments Announces FinAppsParty Winners - “The FinAppsParty showcased the talent and innovation in Atlanta and London, positioning each as vibrant fintech hubs with the ability to compete with any of the technology capitals in the world,” said Frank T. Young, SVP, Global Product and Innovation. “Global Payments is thrilled to host initiatives like the FinAppsParty in support of the industry’s growth and in demonstration of our commitment to leading transformative payment innovation.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - New York City - April 5-6
- Insight Workshop - New York City - Global Payments - April 7
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!