On the Web:
- Google Shopping to Counter Amazon - Wall St. Journal - "Google has approached retailers about creating a “buy” button for its online shopping site that would be similar to Amazon’s popular “one-click ordering” feature, according to people familiar with the discussions."
- Small Bank in Kansas Is a Financial Testing Ground - New York Times - "The creation of the new bank, and the maintenance of the old one, are the work of a couple who were born in India and ended up in Kansas after living in Silicon Valley and passing through jobs at Google and Lehman Brothers."
- Why Silicon Valley thinks we hate our wallets - SFGate.com - “In that sense, there’s a little bit of a don’t fix what ain’t broke approach that I would argue for,” said Levchin. “Innovating around the user interface of payments is a little gratuitous.”
- PayPal expands lending programme to merchants - FT - "Paypal’s merchant lending programme launched last September and has since made more than 35,000 loans at a maximum of $60,000."
- Square Competitor ShopKeep Giving Away Free Equipment to Accept Apple Pay - Re/code.net - "The free giveaway underscores the fierce competition among young companies such as ShopKeep, Square and Poynt, as well as bigger players like First Data, to get small businesses to ditch their clunky point-of-sale equipment for newer, modernized checkout software and hardware."
- Perseverance Pays Off: The Lending Club Story - Jeff Crowe - Norwest Venture Partners - "The Lending Club story is a testament to the importance of keeping one’s cool during periods of high stress and not giving up on a great idea."
On the Wires:
- Stockpile Partners with Yodlee to Offer “Invest Your Change” and “Gift Cards of Stock” for Easy and Affordable Investing - “Our offerings give banks a whole new way to engage with their customers and build a deeper relationship,” said Avi Lele, CEO of Stockpile. “When I was a kid, people gave savings bonds or stock certificates as gifts for graduation, birthdays and weddings, but these days, banks miss out on gift giving and investment. We’re removing the obstacles associated with investing, and making it fun, easy, and affordable for everyone.”
- American Express Serve® Announces Research Pilot to Encourage Consumer Saving - “Rarely do researchers have the opportunity to test their theories in real world environments, using actual financial products, and directly with their target customers,” said Neal Sample, President, Enterprise Growth, American Express. “We see tremendous potential in enabling researchers to use our Serve software platform to improve the lives of the financially underserved. This is why we established our Financial Innovation Lab, and it’s why we are pleased to be working on this research pilot.”
- Fiserv Research Reveals Rapid Growth of Mobile Bill Payments, Multiple Billing and Payment Choices Key to Customer Satisfaction - “Mobile bill pay is becoming a go-to-channel alongside traditional bill payment methods, creating a ripe opportunity for billers to rethink and expand their multichannel strategies to help stimulate customer satisfaction,” said Eric Leiserson, senior research analyst, Biller Solutions, Fiserv. “Billers that cast a wider billing and payment net with offerings that meet the diverse needs of their customers extend their reach and build stronger, more loyal relationships with customers across channels.”
- Fraud-proof Credit Cards Possible with Quantum Physics - "This innovative security measure, known as Quantum-Secure Authentication, can confirm the identity of any person or object, including debit and credit cards, even if essential information (like the complete structure of the card) has been stolen. It uses the unique quantum properties of light to create a secure question-and-answer (Q&A) exchange that cannot be “spoofed” or copied."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews