On the web:
- Alibaba Is Said to Move Toward an I.P.O. in the U.S. - New York Times - "Losing the Alibaba I.P.O. to New York would be a major setback for Hong Kong..."
- Google Gave Up Retail Payments To Get On iPhone. Where Does That Leave Retailers? - "In the end, it was inevitable: To get rid of that bottleneck, in-store NFC payments had to go."
- Digital Gift Card Platform Gyft Raises $5 Million Series A - TechCrunch - "Gyft, a company building a digital platform to bring the plastic gift card industry to both web and mobile, has raised $5 million in Series A funding..."
- Why I Hacked Apple’s TouchID, And Still Think It Is Awesome - Lookout - "Imagine a banking application where on startup you use a fingerprint for convenience – it’s nice and quick and only needs to ensure the right person has started it...."
- Where Are The Android Tablet Banking Apps? - Celent - "Addressing the Android space isn’t necessarily a quick and easy endeavor, and banks have to make sure their app is ready for mass market consumption."
On the wires:
- GTCR Announces $500 Million Partnership with Douglas Bergeron to Form Opus Global Holdings - "Opus Global represents the second partnership between Mr. Bergeron and GTCR and will focus on pursuing companies across certain segments of the financial technology industry."
- CardSpring Launches Local Commerce OS, CardSpring Connect - "CardSpring Connect makes it easy for local merchants to seamlessly create and connect card-linked promotions from leading Web and mobile companies to their existing POS."
- American Express Announces Plans to Create New Joint Venture for Business Travel - "American Express is in ongoing discussions with regard to a proposed joint venture in which it would share the ownership of the joint venture with an investor group led by Certares, a firm headed by senior management with significant experience in the travel industry."
- Western Union NGO GlobalPay Expands; Breaks Payments Barriers for NGOs - "The platform is being designed and piloted to help NGOs overcome the ‘last mile challenge’ and enable NGOs to reach more people in need of funds quickly and securely, especially in times of disaster."
- Mobile Wallet Stalls in 2013: A Look into 2014’s Potential Lucrative Future - "It is a mistake to assume that consumer attraction to a particular technology (e.g. cloud, NFC, QR code, Bluetooth, etc.) alone will separate winners and losers."
- RBS Citizens Treasury Solutions Continues to Lead Corporate Mobile Banking Evolution with Upgrade to Award-Winning accessMOBILE - "With accessMOBILE, RBS Citizens is one of the first commercial banks in the U.S. to offer a corporate mobile banking app that allows users to deposit a check remotely through a system that is integrated with their other cash management systems, initiate wire transfers from templates, and decision positive pay items and use other new functionality."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews