On the web:
- A Fresh Look At Cash Through The Payments Industry's Lens TSYS N>Genuity (Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson) - "But if, as I suspect, there will be an enduring role for non-account-based payments, it does seem to me that there may be more opportunity for solutions with a digital form factor than with a physical one."
- Silicon Valley catches Bitcoin fever - Ft.com Currencies - "Bitcoin’s tech industry backers argue that the shared protocols and common technology standards on which it is based echo the open technologies that lie at the heart of the internet."
- Digital wallets: Paypal, Amazon, and credit cards are top contenders (not Apple, Google) - VentureBeat - "Interestingly, most would rather trust PayPal with their mobile money — rather than their bank or credit card company."
- Gloomy Numbers for Holiday Shopping’s Big Weekend - New York Times - "Over the course of the weekend, consumers spent about $1.7 billion less on holiday shopping than they did the year before, according to the National Retail Federation..."
- No, Sales Didn't Fall 2.7 Percent Thanksgiving Weekend - Bloomberg (Barry Ritholz) - "One would hope that after a decade of people lamenting the poor reporting of Thanksgiving weekend retail data, the news media might learn to do better."
- The Revolutionary Way Marketers Read Your Financial Footprints - Forbes - "Laube, 43, Cardlytics’ president and COO, and Grimes, 51, its CEO, have since helped pioneer a data-driven advertising niche called merchant-funded rewards."
- China’s Largest Bitcoin Exchange Seeks Recognition for Currency - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - "BTC China, the nation’s largest Bitcoin exchange, has had low-level discussions with regulators seeking recognition of the digital currency that would allow it to be used to buy goods and services in the country."
- Bitcoin: Current US Regulatory Developments - Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP - "Due to its potential to become a significant new financial payment mechanism, Bitcoin has attracted the attention of US federal and state—as well as international legislative and regulatory—bodies."
- #EMV Adoption: Vendor Queues Becoming Longer - TMG Blog - "Vendor queues for EMV conversion become longer each day. What may be a two-month implementation timeline now could become as long as a year the closer we get to the deadline."
- First Data Is Drowning in Debts - Wall St. Journal - "If you think your credit-card bill is high, check out the debt on the company that likely processes your credit-card transactions, runs your neighborhood ATMs or verifies that your checks will clear."
- Prepaid Debit Card Realities: Cardholder Demographics and Revenue Models - Aite Group - "In prepaid debit cards, heightened competition and downward pricing mean challenging revenue opportunities despite increased consumer demand."
- Quiet Boss at Citigroup Setting Tone for Wall Street - New York Times Dealbook - "Some bank lawyers say Mr. Corbat’s quiet, workmanlike persona may be better suited to the current regulatory environment."
- Ally Bank bulks up mobile banking portfolio with person-to-person payments - Mobile Commerce Daily - "One of the new Ally Bank app features is an addition to a feature called Popmoney."
On the wires:
- Thoma Bravo Announces Sale of Digital Insight to NCR - “Thoma Bravo was an experienced and trusted partner during our carve-out from Intuit, and I appreciate the effort from our team at Digital Insight,” said Digital Insight CEO John O’Malley.
- NCR Announces Transformative Financial Services Acquisitions that Accelerate its Software, SaaS Leadership - "NCR Corporation ... took the next step in the transformation of its Financial Services business, announcing that it had entered into a definitive agreement to purchase Digital Insight Corporation, a leader in online and mobile banking solutions, for a purchase price of $1.65 billion...
- ETA Hosts Payments Innovation Day on Capitol Hill - "The Electronic Transactions Association (ETA), the global trade association representing the payments technology industry, is hosting a Payments Innovation Day on December 3 to educate lawmakers and their staff about mobile payments innovation that is revolutionizing commerce."
- BitPay Drives Explosive Growth in Bitcoin Commerce - "BitPay continues to enroll new merchants at a rapid pace, onboarding over 3,000 merchants in November to exceed a total of 14,000 bitcoin-accepting merchants."
- BancBox: “Half of Top-Tier CrowdInvesting Platforms Are BancBox Partners”
- The fight against online payment fraud is the business priority of French retailers - "The decrease in turnover suffered by French retailers is estimated to equal 1.4% of their total income from cardless transactions (compared to a European average of 0.6%)."
- Aconite EMV Software Goes Live at Fiserv - "With Smart EMV Manager, Fiserv can process EMV transactions across multiple card products and establish the foundation for enhanced chip capabilities as these are introduced in the marketplace."
- NXP Enables NFC and Secure Internet Payment for Consumers - "This feature will let online shoppers using MasterPass™, the new digital service from MasterCard®, pay by simply tapping their MasterCard contactless card or NFC-enabled mobile phone against the built-in NFC reader and securely complete the transaction with positive identity authentication via Intel® Identity Protection Technology."
- Polaris’ Real Time Payments Hub Rated a ‘Best in Class’ Provider for Payments Operations in Independent Research Group’s Payment Hubs Report - "Payments Hub orchestrates payment messages received from front-end channels through to final clearing and settlement."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews