On the Web:
- Cultural Adventures In Payment Systems – Part I - Monday Note (Jean-Louis Gassée) - "This insouciant way of doing business was unheard of in my Gallic homeland. The French (and most Europeans) think that trust is something that must be earned, that it has a value that is debased when it’s handed out too freely. They think an American’s trusting optimism is naïve, even infantile."
- Can Apple Pay and CurrentC Coexist? - PC World (Tim Bavarian) - "What I suspect will happen is that stores backing CurrentC will eventually cave and also offer Apple Pay, too. There is no reason they should not coexist."
- Why Facebook Has Entrusted Its Future to the CEO of PayPal - Wired - "The company that controls the messaging platform will control the future of the way we interact with people and, quite possibly, with businesses."
- Apple Watch set to become gatekeeper to the iPhone - Mobile Commerce Daily - "I am excited for the Apple Watch and believe that it is going to be a game-changer for consumers and marketers alike."
- Happy Birthday to the FICO® Score! - FICO Blog - "The FICO® Score is 25 years old in 2014. Introduced in 1989, it democratized access to credit by removing many of the barriers to fair lending."
On the Wires:
- NCR Silver POS to Support Bitcoin - "Bitcoin support, which will be integrated with NCR Silver by the end of 2014, will be free to merchants. After registering with a bitcoin processor, all merchants have to do is activate bitcoin as a payment option in the POS back office within NCR Silver. Consumers, meanwhile, pay using a mobile bitcoin “wallet” app which is available in either the Apple App StoreSM or Google PlayTM store."
- Citi Convenes Developers from around the Globe to Unveil Innovative Digital Banking Solutions at Citi® Mobile Challenge Demo Days - “Through Citi Mobile Challenge, we are reaching out to developers in a groundbreaking way with the ultimate goal of improving client experiences,” said Heather Cox, Chief Client Experience, Digital and Marketing Officer for Global Consumer Banking at Citi. “This global initiative is the first of its kind in banking. The scope is unprecedented, with several hundred submissions from 62 countries."
- Borderfree Brings Top U.S. Retailers to Chinese Shoppers This Holiday Season with New Alipay ePass Service - “We believe the time is finally right for retailers to aggressively enter the Chinese market, and Borderfree is actively exploring new ways to help our customers more effectively reach this tremendous consumer base,” said Michael DeSimone, Chief Executive Officer, Borderfree.
- Drive Mobile Banking Adoption by Focusing on Three Key Areas Says Fiserv White Paper - "Titled “Exceeding the Mobile Adoption Benchmark: Effective Strategies for Driving Greater Adoption and Usage,” the complimentary white paper provides proven, actionable strategies to optimize mobile banking investments, with a focus on the three key areas of product investment, marketing and frontline staff engagement."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews