On the Web:
- PayPal’s Dan Schulman aims at millennials' wallets - Fortune - "When PayPal spins off from eBay this summer, its new CEO will be in the thick of the battle to dominate online payments."
- Apple Pay transactions will be capped at £20, banks admit - BBC - "But banks have told the BBC payments will be capped at £20, similar to existing contactless payments. The limit on contactless debit and credit cards is due to rise to £30 in September."
- Square Unveils Mobile Wallet-Friendly Credit Card Reader - New York Times - "The new reader, which Square said will be widely available this fall, operates wirelessly for merchants who want to accept contact-less mobile payments. It also accepts so-called EMV enabled credit cards, a technology that includes a chip built into credit cards for added security."
- Facebook Is Handing Out Free Beacons to Retailers - Re/code.net - "The idea is that beacons — small devices that can send a signal to a person’s smartphone when they get within a certain proximity — can be used to push information and deals to people while they’re in a prime position to make a purchase."
- Money Isn’t Free, but Moving It Is Now Cheaper - Wall St. Journal - "We are at that transition point in which most of us own checkbooks and wallets as well as smartphones. Now imagine a time when all we have is our mobile device, or a pin-and-chip card and our thumbprint, and every time we want to support our friends, a local business or even foreign revolutionaries, all it costs us is a moment’s consideration."
- Your bank account: The next thing to go obsolete - CNN Money - "Not only is banking not for everyone, accounts are inaccessible to about half of the world. People are too poor, live too far from a bank or don't have the required documentation. Abra, a new startup, makes banking more accessible while completely cutting out the actual bank."
- Banking 2025: The Bank of the Future - "Once the number of new users reaches a critical mass, the process of reorganisation is no longer linear and continuous, but advances in bursts and exponentially. This means that, at a certain point in time, the process of system change gains so much momentum that it can hardly be controlled. In view of the inefficiency of the existing banking system as well as the economic superiority of web-based alternatives, it seems that it is only a matter of time before a system change takes place in the banking business."
On the Wires:
- Visa Amends Rules to Help Airline Industry Reduce Card-Not-Present Fraud - "Visa Inc. announced at a recent meeting of the Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC)-sponsored Credit Card Working Group (CCWG) that effective October 2015 it will accept airline-supplied flight manifests as a remedy for fraud payment card chargebacks."
- Apple Pay Coming to the UK - “Apple Pay has quickly become a big part of millions of users’ everyday shopping routines, providing a simpler, faster and more secure way to pay,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “We’re thrilled to bring Apple Pay to the UK with support at launch from the most popular banks, an incredible roster of merchants and many of our users’ favorite apps.”
- Apple Pay Coming To MasterCard Customers in the U.K. from July - "MasterCard is working with several banks, including: HSBC; MBNA; RBS/Natwest and Santander, to enable users of an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus or Apple Watch to use their MasterCard credit, debit or prepaid cards directly through Apple Pay."
- Apple Pay Coming to Millions of UK Visa Cardholders Beginning in July - Jeremy Nicholds, Executive Director of Mobile at Visa Europe, commented: “Contactless payments are already widely embraced by millions of Visa cardholders across the country every day, so adding the simplicity and convenience of Apple Pay will catapult mobile payments into the mainstream. If people leave the house with one item, it’s their mobile phone – we’ve worked alongside Apple and the various banks involved to give customers a really seamless and exciting new payment experience through Apple Pay, so they have new ways to use their favourite Visa cards on the go and when shopping in the apps they love.”
- Synchrony Financial Integrates Private Label Credit Cards and Patented Dual Cards with Apple Pay - “Through our ongoing innovation and strategic partnerships, we have developed a mobile platform that we can rapidly integrate across retailers and wallets, continuing to offer our value proposition for Apple Pay users,” said Margaret Keane, president and CEO of Synchrony Financial. “Through this approach, Synchrony Financial is helping shape the future of how private label credit cards work when customers choose to make contactless payments.”
- TSYS Supports Apple Pay in the U.K. - “TSYS’ support of Apple Pay is a landmark opportunity for us and demonstrates our people-centered approach to payments for all parties in the payments ecosystem,” said M. Troy Woods, chairman, president and chief executive officer, TSYS. “Our number one priority is security for the banks and retailers we serve, so their customers can conduct their lives with confidence and convenience. Apple Pay will change the face of the mobile payments industry and our role in the digital marketplace.”
- First Data to Support Launch of Apple Pay in the UK - “Following the successful launch of Apple Pay in the U.S. last year, First Data is thrilled to support the launch of Apple Pay in the U.K. to help our clients bring their customers added convenience, security and privacy. First Data has established itself as a trusted enabler of mobile payments, and we are proud to help transform the payments landscape for the benefit of our clients,” said Sanjiv Das, Executive Vice President, Head of International Regions, First Data.
- Walgreens Launches App for Apple Watch to Support Medication Adherence - "Walgreens also announced today the planned integration of Balance Rewards with Apple Pay, coming this fall to stores with the launch of rewards support for Apple Pay. Beginning this fall, Apple Pay will provide immediate access to Balance Rewards without separately scanning a Balance Rewards card. Balance Rewards members will have the ability to earn and redeem Balance Rewards points via Apple Pay, the easy, secure and private way to pay."
- Visa Europe: Smart devices on track to replace cash and cards - "According to new research from Visa Europe, consumer adoption of mobile payments will grow faster than ever in the next five years, with six in ten Britons (60%) expecting to use their mobile devices for payments at least once a week by 2020."
- Apriva, Miura Systems Partner to Deliver Added mPOS Functionality to U.S. Market - “As we’ve seen the U.S. market expand in mobile payments and chip card acceptance begin to take off, we saw a great opportunity to bring the EMV, Contactless and NFC technologies we’ve tested and proven in over 35 global markets to the U.S.,” said Mark Roberts, SVP Sales & Marketing, Miura Systems. “With their vast connections and highly respected products, Apriva provided us with the ideal partner to bring our Chip and PIN ready peripherals to customers in the U.S.”
- Splunk Cloud Drives Security Monitoring and Threat Detection at Orrstown Bank - "Splunk Cloud gives Orrstown Bank centralized visibility into machine data coming from more than 60 unique data sources across its entire hybrid IT environment that includes on-premises servers, Amazon Web Services servers and Microsoft Azure. With the ability to now analyze this hybrid data together in Splunk Cloud, Orrstown Bank has improved IT operations reliability and can quickly detect anomalous behavior across its performance, application and network data logs."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on August 6 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews