On the Web:
- New T-Mobile Prepaid Card Presents Opportunities and Risks for Blackhawk Network - Digital Transactions - "Teri Llach, Pleasanton, Calif.-based Blackhawk’s chief marketing officer, wouldn’t predict her company’s cardholder goals for the program, but says it is a big opportunity."
- New York State Department of Financial Services Outlines Additional Details on Witnesses and Panels for Virtual Curency Hearing on January 28 and 29 in New York City
- TigerDirect.com Now Accepts Bitcoin Payments! - TigerDirect - "Bitcoin transactions are final. Once you have sent Bitcoin funds to BitPay to complete a TigerDirect.com order, they cannot be reversed. This is a core feature of Bitcoin currency."
- Here Is What Bitcoin Users Are Buying On Overstock.com - Forbes (Erika Morphy) - "...the company estimates that Bitcoin buyers have made some $500,000 in purchases since Jan. 9."
- Balanced Will Release an API to Push Money to Debit Cards - Balanced Payments Blog - "Balanced launched a crowdfunding campaign yesterday to gauge interest in building an API that gives marketplaces the ability to pay sellers using only a seller’s debit card number and expiration date. In 25 hours, we reached our goal of $50k..."
- Hello, smart commerce - PandoDaily (Braintree CEO Bill Ready) - "In the very near future, commerce will become as effortless and magical as an Uber ride. Shopping will be a highly personalized, context-driven experience — one facilitated by the touch of a button."
- Payments Startup Stripe Joins the Billion Dollar Club - Wall St. Journal - "In the crowded field of online payments, venture capitalists are betting Stripe Inc. is a standout worth more than a billion dollars."
- DOJ Hits First Bank Target in ‘Operation Choke Point’ - JDSupra Business Advisor - "Four Oaks Bank is a small North Carolina bank that had processed ACH transactions for payday lenders through an arrangement with an unidentified third-party payment processor."
- Does Facebook Represent the Future of International Remittances? - CGAP Blog - "If money transfer organizations begin offering fund transfer services to populations traditionally excluded from financial services via social networks, they could generate significant international transaction volumes in an environment where mWallets— in most countries—have struggled."
- Introducing the iZettle SDK - iZettle Blog - "In our case, we’re providing iOS developers with the ability to add iZettle payment services – with card readers and receipt printers – to their own apps."
- Cheat Sheet: What Bankers Need to Know About the Target Breach - American Banker (Bank Technology News) - "Following are frequently asked questions about the incident, its impact on the card business and the long-term ramifications."
- BillGuard Brings Email-Like UI to Mobile Banking Transaction Flow - NetBanker (Jim Bruene) - "Wish #1: A Gmail-like priority inbox/feed for my financial transactions."
- Wells Fargo tests voice command for easier mobile banking - Mobile Commerce Daily - “Today the keyboard remains central to data input across a variety of devices, but as consumers increasingly multitask, we see alternate means of input continue to grow,” said Brian Pearce, head of mobile for Wells Fargo’s Digital Channels Group.
- Venezuela announces changes to foreign currency system - BBC News - "The big discussion here is whether we give dollars to travellers or we import food," said Mr Ramirez.
- Jamie Dimon Goes On The Attack On Bitcoin - Business Insider - "It's a terrible store of value," said Dimon.
On the Wires:
- Richardson Patel Takes a Bite at Bitcoin - "Richardson Patel is pleased to announce that it is one of the first law firms in the United States to accept Bitcoin as payment for legal services."
- Citibank Unveils New ATM Experience in the U.S. - "Citibank today unveiled new ATMs for the U.S. that will “remember” customer preferences and reduce the time customers spend to check balances, make deposits and withdraw cash."
- Safe Youth Payments Technology Available at Leading Teen Retailer Site - “We’re pleased to offer Oink as a safe and secure payment option,” said David Cost, VP of eCommerce at Deb Shops.
- CoinSeed Invests $5 Million in BitFury Bitcoin Mining Hardware - "CoinSeed, a Bitcoin focused investment fund led by Harvard Business School graduate, Merlin Kauffman, has purchased what is believed to be the largest private single sale of specialized Bitcoin mining hardware in existence."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews