On the Web:
- Visa acquires strategic license of TrialPay’s technology to enhance the world of payments and offers - "TrialPay itself will remain independent, with no interruptions to any services or partnerships. Visa is not buying TrialPay, just our technology platform." - See also Visa's announcement.
- FBI Probes Possible Hacking Incident at J.P. Morgan - "The extent of the hacking—when it began, what it affected, and the potential costs for the company—weren't immediately clear."
- Lending Club, Leader in Peer-to-Peer, Plans I.P.O. - New York Times - "Lending Club has been the leader in the peer-to-peer lending industry for several years, overtaking slightly older competitors in the process."
- For Smarter Security, a Smarter Walmart MasterCard - "Walmart has long been a proponent for EMV chip technology and installed EMV-capable terminals in stores about eight years ago. These terminals are now activated in more than 4,600 stores, including all Sam’s Club locations."
- Citi Scores a Digital-Wallet First for U.S. Banks, But Will Consumers Care? - Digital Transactions - "While its new offering apparently gives Citi bragging rights as the first of America’s top-tier banks to come out with a branded digital wallet, the bank also is entering a market that has frustrated many earlier entrants."
- Amadeus gets China boost with UnionPay deal - Travel Daily Asia - "Amadeus has signed an agreement with Chinese cross-border payment service provider, UnionPay International, to integrate UnionPay debit and credit cards into the Amadeus Payment Platform (APP)."
- Whole Foods Market is latest retailer to reject checks - Dallas Morning News - “By accepting only electronic payments and cash, we will reduce wait times in line.”
- PayPal reconsiders online gambling, enters talks to process payments for NJ virtual casinos - PandoDaily - "According to reports from across the casino world, PayPal is considering (re)entering the online gambling market and could be in line for a contract to process payments on behalf of the state of New Jersey."
- Touch ID in iOS 8: Explained - iMore.com - "Touch ID helps by making a biometric authentication system available that's both easier and faster to use."
On the Wires:
- IBM and Monitise Form Global Go-to-Market and Resourcing Alliance - Monitise plc CEO Alastair Lukies said: “Today’s announcement marks a new milestone in delivering an industry-leading Mobile Money partnership, establishing IBM and Monitise as a global powerhouse."
- Audience Rewards Partners With First Bankcard to Launch Audience Rewards American Express® Card - "Audience Rewards, The Official Rewards Program of Broadway and the Arts and First Bankcard, a division of First National Bank of Omaha and a leading issuer of credit cards, are announcing the launch of the Audience Rewards American Express Card."
- Ingo Money Mitigates Mobile Deposit Risk to Achieve Sustainable, Profitable Loss Rates without Jeopardizing Approval Rates - "Until now, the industry has failed to control duplicate items and other fraud sources for prepaid customers, while also delivering the level of immediacy that is required or desired by hundreds of millions of consumers – Ingo™ Money does both,”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews