On the Web:
- AmEx to Stop Merchant Curbs - Wall St. Journal - "After years of prohibiting merchants who accept its cards from steering customers to other brands, American Express Co. is lifting those restrictions."
- Govt push for cheaper debit card payments - Times of India - "Under the new regime proposed in the circular, instead of 1.5% of transaction value banks will deduct a flat fee which will be a few rupees. This will give merchants lesser reasons for rejecting payments by card."
- Barclays Trials Bitcoin Tech With Pilot Program - CoinDesk - "Following an agreement with bitcoin exchange Safello, the UK bank says it will explore how blockchain technologies could bolster the financial services sector."
- The Current Tokenization Landscape in the United States - Take on Payments Blog - "Working with the Mobile Payments Industry Workgroup (MPIW), the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston's Payments Strategies group and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's Retail Payment Risk Forum just released a comprehensive white paper on the current tokenization landscape in the United States."
- A view from the top – 15 years through the eyes of Mobey Forum’s Chairmen - Mobey Forum Blog - "In this blog, we talk to Mobey’s first Chairman, Bo Harald, and current Chairman, Jordi Guaus, to see how the organisation has evolved, the successes it has achieved and what the future holds."
- Texas Sues Over RadioShack Gift Cards - Wall St. Journal - "Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on Thursday sued RadioShack in bankruptcy court over approximately $43 million in unused gift cards."
On the Wires:
- Global Payments Announces Full-Service Acquiring for American Express Small Business Merchants with the Roll-Out of OptBlue™ in Canada - “We are pleased to be the first acquirer in Canada to roll-out OptBlue, offering small business merchants an easy, convenient and affordable way to accept American Express,” said René Bélanger, President, Global Payments Canada.
- Green Dot Corporation to Remain Program Manager and Green Dot Bank to Remain Issuing Bank for Walmart MoneyCard - "The initial term of this new agreement is for five years. The new term has an effective start date of May 1, 2015 and will replace the current agreement which would have otherwise expired at the end of this year."
- Westpac Offers Next-Gen Portable Payment Devices & Full Terminal Management to Customers Leveraging Verifone Payment as a Service Platform - “At Westpac we know the tools our merchants use are critical to getting the most out of their business and delivering the best possible experience for their customers,” said Steve Aliferis, Head of Product, Australian Financial Services, Westpac Group. “That’s why we are one of the first banks in the world to introduce the latest Verifone terminals which are designed to solve payment challenges and bring convenience to our merchants to accept emerging forms of payments in any type of environment.”
- Electronic Bill Pay for Business: Entryless Announces Entryless Seamless B2B Payments - "Closing the loop for SMB bill payment automation, Entryless announced today the addition of a payment system that extends the existing Entryless platform with a supplier payment system. To support their efforts, they have hired Sukanta Ganguly as CTO, a serial entrepreneur with experience in payments."
- Fifth Third Bancorp Announces Expected Changes to Branch Network - "Fifth Third currently expects to consolidate or sell approximately 100 branches and approximately 30 other properties purchased earlier for future branch expansion."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on August 6 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews