On the web:
- Bitcoin: A Primer for Policymakers - George Mason University - "A new Mercatus Center at George Mason University study addresses many of the common misconceptions about Bitcoin and describes how the digital currency works."
- Germany's ruling on Bitcoin paves the way for its legitimacy in the EU - The Verge - "The most interesting aspect of the German ruling may be the consequences for the rest of the EU."
- Mobile-Payment Startups No Match for PayPal: Tech - Bloomberg - "Just as mobile payments gain mainstream appeal, venture capitalists are scaling back, turned off by the crowded field and challenging economics."
- The Six Things That Will Change the Future of Payments - Pymnts.com (Karen Webster) - "The culprit is the mash-up of connected devices, data and the cloud, which are dramatically accelerating the pace of change in an industry not exactly known for moving at warp speed."
- Will a fingerprint sensor be Apple’s next hit? - Invasivecode - "What would the fingerprint sensor be used for? Why do we need one on the iPhone or iPad? To make payments? I don’t think so."
- Why Amazon, Facebook Are In Hot Pursuit Of Digital Identity - AdExchanger - “There’s a battle for identity and one of the fronts of the war is the social login,” commented Ray Wang, principal analyst and CEO of Constellation Research.
- Dunkin’ Donuts drills down on location to boost mobile payments app - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Jumping on the success of mobile payments for smaller purchases, Dunkin’ Donuts entered the mobile commerce space in August 2012 with an app that lets consumers pay for drinks and meals via a bar code that is scanned at the point-of-sale."
- Shopify Payments Launches for U.S. Merchants - "Shopify Payments is here, and with it, the easiest way to accept payments online without the hassle of 3rd party payment gateways and merchant accounts."
On the wires:
- TSYS and FICO Launch Integrated Fraud Management Solution - "Since the integration of the Falcon and PRIME solution, EnterCard bank experts are predicting a 40-percent decrease in fraud losses and risk exposure."
- Digital River “Private Stores” Power Global VIP Commerce Experiences - "The cloud-based solution enables merchants to offer special pricing to exclusive groups of online buyers through limited-access, branded online stores. The stores can be localized to support over 30 languages, display more than 40 currencies and offer in excess of 40 regional payment methods."
- Virtual Piggy Expands Gaming Industry Presence - "-Virtual Piggy ... today announced that it will provide its youth-friendly payment system to Marvelous USA, Inc."
- BlueKite Launches Cross-Border Bill-Payment Service in Ecuador, Nicaragua & Panama - "BlueKite has developed proprietary technology that provides complementary payment options to millions of consumers who emigrated and still support friends and families back in their home countries."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews