On the Web:
- Plastiq inks $10 mln led by Khosla Ventures - Reuters PE Hub - “At Plastiq, we are laser-focused on bringing payment choice to North American cardholders by enabling them to make payments with their card in instances when they otherwise could not,” said Eliot Buchanan, CEO and co-founder of Plastiq.
- TMG Builds Wearable #Payments App for @GoogleGlass - TMG Blog - "TMG Senior Product Manager Brian Day, in a presentation aptly named “The Future of Payments,” gave a demonstration of how this custom-built wearable payments app works."
- Israeli Payments Startup Zooz Closes $12 Million Round - Wall St. Journal Digits - "According to Oren Levy, Zooz CEO and co-founder, the company is currently focusing on allowing enterprise clients to integrate Zooz solutions into existing billing and customer relationship software."
- Oversight Issues in Mobile Payments - International Monetary Fund - "International experience suggests that financial authorities can develop effective oversight frameworks for new payment methods to safeguard public confidence and financial stability by establishing: (i) a clear legal regime; (ii) proportionate AML/CFT measures to prevent financial integrity risks; (iii) fund safeguarding measures such as insurance, similar guarantee schemes, or “pass through” deposit insurance; (iv) contingency plans for operational disruptions; and (v) risk controls and access criteria in payment systems."
On the Wires:
- Visa Opens San Francisco Technology Center to Advance Innovation in Payments - "The centerpiece of One Market will be an innovation center designed to provide an immersive experience for clients and partners, where they can interact with Visa subject-matter experts, and explore new products and technologies that advance the payment experience in areas such as mobile, security and cloud-based technologies. The space has been designed to encourage dynamic interaction and real-time experimentation, and is expected to attract Bay Area technology talent who want to develop the next generation of commerce solutions by working with the industry leader in payments."
- Visa Presents the Future of Commerce with New Innovation Center and Launch of Visa Checkout - "The move provides Visa technologists, its clients, and partners an innovative space to jointly develop the next generation of commerce applications. As a part of the grand opening of One Market today, Visa also announced the launch of Visa Checkout, a quick and easy payment service that enables consumers throughout the United States, Canada and Australia to pay for goods online, on any device, in just a few clicks."
- Mercury StoreCard™ Now Available - "The Mercury StoreCard lets merchants brand their own reloadable card for accepting customer payments. The cardholder can use a quick-response (QR) barcode on the back of the card to access their prepaid card account on their smartphone."
- CARDFREE and XPIENT Solutions Partner for Omni-Channel Services for Restaurants - “Traditionally, integration to restaurant commerce technology, especially, point of sale systems are quite a hurdle in mobile commerce deployments,” commented Jon Squire, founder and chief executive officer of CARDFREE, “with XPIENT and their cloud-based Commerce Engine which provides immediate and seamless access to the POS, this is as easy as it can get, allowing us to quickly deploy our full suite of services."
- New GfK Survey Shows 60% of US Consumers Have Used a Branded Prepaid Payment Card - "According to the findings from GfK’s omnibus survey, users from different age and income groups are satisfied with their prepaid card experience. Although user segments at times cite different benefits as most important to them, “ease of use” is the overall top reason for liking prepaid cards. Nearly two-thirds of respondents in the GfK survey say that using prepaid cards is the same as or better than using a checking account or cash."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews