On the Web:
- Home Depot: 56M Cards Impacted, Malware Contained - Krebs on Security - "Prior to the Home Depot breach, the record for the largest retail card breach went to TJX, which lost some 45.6 million cards."
- Home Depot Says Data From 56 Million Cards Was Taken in Breach - New York Times - "Home Depot’s attack went unnoticed for five months. During that time, hackers found an entry into the company’s network, gained access to its in-store payment systems and installed malware to take payment data off the memory of the company’s registers during processing."
- Klarna Announces U.S. Team As It Plans For 2015 Launch In The U.S. - TechCrunch - "The company recruited Brian Billingsley from Alliance Data as chief executive of North America; former Bill Me Later and PayPal director Carol Hargrave as chief marketing officer; and former Apple payments counsel, Jin Han, as chief legal counsel for North America."
On the Wires:
- Heartland Introduces Mobile and Online Ordering Solution for Restaurants - “Restaurants are looking for a competitive mobile ordering solution that will match the functionality that major restaurant companies are bringing to market, while minimizing the operational impact of adopting this new technology,” said David Gilbert, president of Heartland’s hospitality group. “Restaurants also want to respond to growing consumer demand as well-known restaurant brands engage in marketing activities to shift consumer behavior towards placing more orders via smartphones, tablets and computers.”
- The Home Depot Completes Malware Elimination and Enhanced Encryption of Payment Data in All U.S. Stores - "To protect customer data until the malware was eliminated, any terminals identified with malware were taken out of service, and the company quickly put in place other security enhancements."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join Elizabeth McQueery and Manfred Schuck for Glenbrook's Payments in Europe Workshop - Oct 9 in Palo Alto, CA
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421. I continue to strive for having PaymentsNews be your secret weapon!
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews