On the web:
- Bitcoin: The Future of Money or a Flash in the Pan? - Stanford Law School (Monday, 12/9/13) - "To discuss the potential evolution of the Bitcoin market, we have assembled a unique panel of experts including a venture capitalist with a strong stake in the Bitcoin market, a Bitcoin entrepreneur, the promoter of the Bitcoin Investment Trust, a former general counsel of the CIA, and a leading securities law professor who is also a former Commissioner of the SEC."
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson is at the Institue for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion’s Fifth Annual Conference at UC Irvine today - the conference is being live streamed - 8:45 AM PT. Carol's the discussant on a panel this afternoon on Financial Inclusion and Mobile Money Uptake. The conference continues tomorrow.
- Credit card fraud comes of age with advances in point-of-sale botnets - ArsTechnica - "Underscoring the growing sophistication of Internet crime, researchers have documented one of the first known botnets to target point-of-sale terminals used by stores and restaurants to process customers' credit and debit card payments."
- Google Wallet Cards Arriving Now, But Consumer Benefits Remain Unclear - TechCrunch - "This MasterCard-powered prepaid debit card allows you to link your online Google Wallet balance to a real, plastic card you can use at point-of-sale, at ATMs, or anywhere else a MasterCard is accepted, stateside."
- Dwolla Disrupts Money Flow for Credit Card Firms - Wall St. Journal Live - Interviews Dwolla's Ben Milne.
On the wires:
- FinCEN, Federal Reserve Finalize Rule Amending Definitions in the Bank Secrecy Act - "The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, and the Federal Reserve Board on Tuesday announced a final rule amending the definitions of "funds transfer" and "transmittal of funds" under regulations implementing the Bank Secrecy Act."
- Paul Cook joins Global Payment Solutions Leader Adyen as MD Global Acquiring - "Paul will relocate to Adyen’s headquarters in Amsterdam, Netherlands, from his previous position as Head of Acceptance for Visa Inc, AP and CEMEA, in San Francisco." Elan Expands Advantage Points Debit Rewards Program with Merchant Funded Components - "The new Elan point-of-sale (POS) merchant-funded program enables its financial institution clients to link digital offers to their cardholders’ registered rewards card, thus enabling them to swipe their card at a participating merchant to automatically receive bonus points."
- Clinkle Expands Senior Management Team with Appointment of Two Accomplished Internet Veterans - "Andrew Rendich was named vice president of operations and Allison Hopkins was named vice president of talent."
- Heavy Borrowing is Addictive and Harmful for Banks, as Well as the Public, Say Stanford Researchers - "In this latest work, the researchers contend that highly indebted borrowers, including virtually all banks, develop an “addiction” to ever-higher borrowing — even when it lowers the total value of the firm to investors."
- UPS Capital® Improves C.O.D. Services to Help Small Businesses Manage Cash, Customer Relationships - "The service is designed to improve how and when companies that accept C.O.D. can deposit their customers’ checks."
- Citi and American Airlines Announce That the Citi® Executive® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® Will Be the Only Credit Card Delivering Admirals Club® Membership - "Citi® Executive® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® cardmembers and their immediate family or up to two traveling guests enjoy access to nearly 40 Admirals Club locations worldwide."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- FEEDBACK: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - here's my email: [email protected]. Please forward press releases to: [email protected].
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- And stay for our Innovation in Payments Workshop on December 12th in Palo Alto with Russ Jones and Carol Coye Benson.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews