On the Web:
- Square Register App Now Available Worldwide - Square Blog - "Our free point-of-sale app, Square Register, is now available worldwide."
- Why banks fear Bitcoin - Fortune - "In the case of Bitcoin, what is being enabled here is not merely a new market, but a market of markets; a platform for all kinds of new markets to emerge. In it, lies the promise of a transformation, as strange as it sounds, greater than the Internet."
- Apple Is Coming To The Aid Of Small Retailers - TechCrunch - "With Apple Pay, the biggest hurdle – getting the customer to enter their card details into the app – has vanished and the onboarding process got so much easier. This is encouraging for small businesses, and this is not all that Apple has done to help them."
- How Apple Pay stacks up against the retailers’ competing payment system - Quartz - "We’ll know soon if this battle is won before it’s even fought."
- The Secret Life of Passwords - New York Times - "Many people use the same password for multiple accounts, and these passwords are typically personalized."
On the Wires:
- Stratos: 30% of US Smartphone Owners to Use Apple Pay and Google Wallet during the Holidays - “Our research shows that while American smartphone users would like to use their smartphones to pay for gifts at department stores, they are less likely to want to use the same system to pay at a hotel, upscale restaurant, or a bar. Our findings show that Americans are more comfortable paying with their cards. We are excited to deliver connected cards to further improve the consumer in-store mobile payment experience - increasing spending using a familiar, universal accepted, dynamic card.”
- BlueSnap Taps First Data for Payments Processing Around the World - "BlueSnap is an innovative company with a deep understanding of eCommerce and mobile payments," said Guy Chiarello, First Data president. "BlueSnap makes it easy for merchants to sell online with no additional development, and First Data makes payment transactions secure, fast and easy with the goal of helping our clients grow their business no matter their size or geography."
- TSYS and linked2pay Offer Omni Payments for Merchants - "Large and small merchants across a variety of industries can deploy this payment option easily and quickly," said Chris McNulty, group executive of Sales, Business Development, & Client Relations, TSYS Merchant Solutions. "By bringing credit cards and ACH together seamlessly, our merchants can lower costs and decrease the number of paper checks they accept."
- Merchant Advisory Group Joins X.9 Standards Organization - “We look forward to representing many facets of the U.S. merchant community within the X.9 standards group where we will have a true seat at the table to vote on the adoption of standards, which is something the merchant community lacks with other payments-focused groups.”
- PayStand Streamlines Online Payments, Offers e-Check as Simple, Fixed Cost Alternative to Credit Card - "To initiate the new e-Check option for payment, users enter their bank login and password. Transaction fees are fixed, and start at 25 cents."
- PayPal: Merchants Should Think Global This Holiday Season; Cross-Border Shoppers Out-Spend Domestic Shoppers by Double - “By identifying trade opportunities around the world, our research findings can help merchants tap into the expanding global marketplace,” said Anuj Nayar, senior director of global initiatives for PayPal. “In addition to research, we are also actively providing our merchants with tools such as PayPal PassPort and selling opportunities such as our China Singles Day program, to help them attract more business overseas.”
- Wells Fargo Survey: Affluent Women ‘Enjoy’ Making Money - "A strong majority (93%) of affluent women “enjoy making and accumulating money” and more than half (53%) believe that money helps buy happiness, according to a new Wells Fargo survey of affluent women. Women have a strong sense of pride in earning money with 85% of them saying they feel proud about their earning power."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews