On the Web
- Apple Partners With American Express to Expand Apple Pay Globally - Re/code - "Apple said it has partnered with American Express to bring its Apple Pay mobile payments service to global markets."
- JPMorgan Chase Says It Is Building a Rival to Apple Pay - New York Times - "Chase believes its smart phone application, known as Chase Pay, has one key advantage: the caliber of retailers it has brought on board, Gordon Smith, chief executive of the bank's consumer business, told Reuters."
- Square complicates its IPO story - Fortune - "Those figures represent slower revenue growth and faster loss growth than in the year-earlier period."
- At Money20/20, VCs Aren’t Fretting Soaring Valuations in Fintech World - Wall St. Journal - "Prominent venture capitalists in the red hot “fintech” – or financial technology – sector say they are seeing overvaluation everywhere they look. They just aren’t worried about it."
On the Wires
- MasterCard and Cardlytics Partner to Deliver an Integrated Card-Linked Loyalty Program for Banks of All Sizes - "MasterCard and Cardlytics today announced an agreement to deliver targeted card-linked services to US banks of all sizes. The new partnership will match Cardlytics card-linked marketing solutions and advertising expertise with MasterCard’s bank partners and its offers and rewards platform to deliver a solution that is unsurpassed in the loyalty business."
- FIS and The Clearing House Team to Execute a Ubiquitous Real-Time Payment System for the U.S. - "As a global leader in the payments industry, we are proud to join this critical initiative to deliver a game changing real-time payments ecosystem to the U.S. marketplace,” said Nancy Langer, chief product officer, FIS. “We have long invested in delivering real-time money movement capabilities to our clients and view this partnership as an extension of our strategy to disrupt the status quo and empower our clients through new payment paradigms.”
- Affirm Announces Omnichannel Installment Payment Products for Telesales and Physical Stores - “Our new telesales and in-store payment products help strengthen Affirm’s omnichannel presence,” said Levchin. “Installments are much more than just a way to defer payment temporarily. We now have sufficient data that shows they help merchants boost sales and help consumers, who may not have credit cards or choose not to use them, pay for their online and in-store purchases in a way that best matches their monthly budgets.”
- Marqeta Adds Leading FinTech and Commerce Brands to Its Payment Innovation Platform; Closes $25 Million Series C Round - "Today, at Money20/20 2015, Marqeta, the Open API issuer processor platform, announced a host of new marquee customers, including Affirm, DoorDash, HyperWallet and Kabbage, alongside known customers such as Facebook, Bento for Business and Perk. Marqeta also confirmed closing a $25 million Series C round."
- InAuth Launches Game-Changing Device Reputation Network, InExchange - “This is a definite game-changer in the industry”, said InAuth CEO, Lisa Stanton. “Our ability to utilize device identification technology to create a network that enables protection from even the first instance of fraud is unique to only InAuth. Participating in InExchange is a win-win for both consumers and businesses. Consumers want to be able to do more with their mobile without any unnecessary friction, and businesses want to protect their brand and bottom line from fraud losses.”
- Samsung Pay Advantage Significantly Expands Mobile Payment Merchant Acceptance and Drives Consumer Adoption - "After one month, the numbers say it all: Consumers who have used Samsung Pay are using it repeatedly because it works almost anywhere you can swipe or tap a card," said Thomas Ko, global co-general manager of Samsung Pay. “We’re thrilled to introduce new partners that will build on our early success, and move us even closer to a world in which your mobile phone is a true mobile wallet."
- Blackhawk Network Announces Partnership to Integrate Gift Cards Into Samsung Pay - "We are thrilled to complement Samsung Pay's groundbreaking mobile payment technology with the upcoming integration of gift cards into the application," said Talbott Roche, president of Blackhawk Network. "Consumers often have several gift cards at any given time, and the ability to integrate them into a single mobile payment solution, coupled with Samsung Pay's unique MST technology allowing for convenient redemption, is expected to provide a value add to Samsung Pay users."
- BlockCypher Assets API Enables Any Asset on the Blockchain in Only One Step - "With one simple API call, an organization can now issue any asset as custom digital tokens (colored coins) and transfer them securely using the blockchain. “Colored coins” is a term that describes a class of methods for representing and managing real-world assets on the blockchain."
- FIS Helps Accelerate Acceptance of Mobile Payments at the Pump - "FIS today announced a technology agreement with SAP (NYSE: SAP), in which FIS will integrate the FIS Mobile Payment Enablement Gateway solution with SAP® Vehicles Network running on SAP HANA® Cloud Platform."
- New GSMA Report Sees North America Leading Global Adoption of New Mobile Technologies - “The North American mobile industry has been the strongest performing of any developed region globally for some time, characterised by substantial subscriber growth, the early adoption of new technologies, high levels of mobile usage and strong revenue trends,” said Michael O’Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digita Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!