On the web:
- Bitcoin: A Primer - Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago - "Bitcoin is a digital currency that was launched in 2009, and it has attracted much attention recently. This article reviews the mechanics of the currency and offers some thoughts on its characteristics."
- Bitcoin isn’t so broken after all - Freedom to Tinker (Ed Felten) - "In short, a coalition of ES-miners cannot form and will not survive."
- Square Exploring 2014 IPO With Banks - WSJ Digits - "Technology entrepreneur Jack Dorsey is trying to pull off two high-profile initial public offerings in the span of one year."
- Minting Cash: how Square designed a product with no design at all - The Verge - "One of Dorsey’s most critical directives during the process was that users shouldn’t have to come up with new usernames and passwords, because in real life, you don’t need a password to hand some money to a friend."
- Does anyone care about Square? - Financial Services Club Blog - "We will soon live in a world without payments. As retailers integrate more of the financial transaction into their trade processes, the more we live in a world where payments become increasingly irrelevant."
- Is Bitcoin Broken? - Bitcoin Foundation - "...I believe the paper’s assertion of a fundamental flaw is based on some over-simplified assumptions about how the bitcoin mining market works."
- The Bitcoin Bubble - TechCrunch - "Bitcoin can have ‘value’ based not on any sort of government backing or the like, but it can provide short-term utility to all holders if it has use."
- Bitcoin Climbs to Record on Wider Acceptance, China Trade - "If James Bond, Sergey Brin and Paul Volcker all got together and designed their ideal currency, it might look a lot like Bitcoin..."
- Jumio unveils faster and smarter Netswipe 2.0, cements its standing as the most secure mobile payment verification option - PandoDaily - "Today Jumio announced version 2.0 of its Netswipe platform, making payment card scanning significantly faster and adding the ability to read not only credit card numbers and expiration date, but also, for the first time, the cardholder’s name."
- BTCJam: P2P Lending via Bitcoin - NetBanker - "Case in point: BTCJam , a global P2P lending outfit with founders in Brazil and San Francisco, that lends in Bitcoins."
On the wires:
- PCI Council Publishes PCI DSS and PA-DSS Version 3.0 - "Version 3.0 will help organizations make payment security part of their business-as-usual activities by introducing more flexibility, and an increased focus on education, awareness and security as a shared responsibility."
- Fiserv Debuts Interactive Mobile Sales Solution to Help Financial Institutions Accelerate Revenue - "Using Sales Enablement from Fiserv, a financial institution’s account executives can walk into a prospect’s office to introduce their institution and its products and services, carrying only a tablet."
- American Express and Emirates Take Flight - "American Express Card Members enrolled in the Membership Rewards program are now able to transfer points into the Emirates Skywards program and redeem Skywards Miles for travel on one of the world’s leading airlines."
- Jumio Unveils Faster Credit Card Scanning Technology With Netswipe 2.0 - "Businesses spend a great deal of money and effort bringing customers to their checkout pages, only to have the majority of these transactions be abandoned on old fashioned, labor intensive checkout forms. Payment friction is the culprit and businesses no longer need to lose sales because of it."
- Litle & Co. Launches Recurring Engine - "Recurring Engine is built for businesses that bill at regular intervals such as digital content providers, software as a service businesses, news subscriptions, and membership associations."
- Realex Payments launch new PrestaShop payment solution - "Realex Payments has partnered with French developer Coccinet and PrestaShop, the leading Open-source e-commerce software, powering more than 150,000 stores, to launch a fully comprehensive solution for online payment processing."
- New FICO Technology Correlates Locations of Mobile Phone and Card Transaction to Crack Down on Fraud - "The FICO Proximity Location Service, part of FICO Fraud Resolution Manager, compares the physical location of a cardholder's registered mobile phone against the location of the ATM or point-of-sale terminal where the card is being used."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Jacqueline Chilton will be speaking social media and payments at the W.net Northern California LINC Networking event being held November 14 at Google.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews