On the Web:
- Banks: Park-n-Fly Online Card Breach - Krebs on Security - "...Park-n-Fly said it recently engaged multiple outside security firms to investigate breach claims made by financial institutions, but so far has been unable to find a breach of its systems."
- Mobile rewards gain stature as currency for airlines - Mobile Commerce Daily - “Last month, we began offering our MileagePlus X mobile app to a test group of members, enabling them to use their mobile devices to earn miles when making purchases at certain stores.”
- Dozens More Companies Sign Up for Apple Pay - New York Times - "On Tuesday, Apple announced that in recent weeks the company had signed up dozens more banks, retail stores and start-ups to adopt Apple Pay..."
- Samsung in Talks to Launch Apple Pay Competitor - Re/code.net - "It is not yet clear if Samsung has reached a deal with the startup, Burlington, Massachusetts-based LoopPay. One source said the deal could still fall apart. A prototype of the payments system working on a Samsung phone has been created, the other source said."
- Australian Regulator: Bitcoin is Not a Financial Product - CoinDesk - "Digital currencies are not a financial product and operators do not need licenses to trade or hold them, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has said."
On the Wires:
- Adyen Raises $250 Million in Funding to Accelerate Growth of Its Global Payments Platform - “Adyen is at the forefront of a rapidly globalizing payments market with tremendous growth potential,” said Jonathan Korngold, managing director and global head of General Atlantic’s Financial Services Sector. He continued, “In addition to exponential growth in e-commerce, we are also seeing a rise in consumer demand for integrated experiences across in-store and online shopping. Considering the inherent opportunities in both of these trends, we believe that Adyen is well-positioned to extend its position as the leading global payments solution in the years to come.”
- First Data and Verifone Partner to Combat Consumer Payment Data Theft - "While EMV acceptance in the marketplace will strengthen data protection, it creates a burden on merchants and those that serve them,” said Guy Chiarello, president of First Data. “This partnership with Verifone furthers our objective of working with the leading payment technology providers to benefit merchants and their customers.”
- EMV Chip Technology Is the Future of U.S. Payments: Get the Facts in New EMV Migration Forum Infographic - "The Forum developed this resource to be a high-level, easy-to-read visual guide to the must-know facts about chip technology and the U.S. migration. We think this will be a particularly useful aid for payment stakeholders in building their own educational materials on chip payments."
- ShopKeep Apple Pay & Chip Card Reader Available Now - "ShopKeep’s new reader offers independent business owners the latest in payment technology and additional security features for each credit card transaction. The device, powered by Ingenico Mobile Solutions, the leading mobile commerce platform provider, connects to the ShopKeep register app via Bluetooth. It retails for $249, and for a limited time, new customers will receive a free reader upon signing up for a ShopKeep account."
- NCR Silver POS Integrates with LevelUp to Provide Merchants with New Payment Option - "NCR Silver merchants can activate the LevelUp application as a payment option in their POS system. Once activated, customers pay by scanning unique QR codes generated by the LevelUp app during checkout."
- Time Inc. Partners with Coinbase to Become the First Major Magazine Publisher to Accept Bitcoin Payments - "Time Inc. joins a growing list of businesses, such as Overstock.com, Google and Expedia, partnering with Coinbase to integrate bitcoin into their customer payment options."
- Elavon and Union Bank Extend Alliance Relationship - “Merchant Services is an important offering that helps our customers grow their businesses,” said Brian Milton, managing director of Retail Home Equity, Credit Card and Merchant Services for Union Bank. “By combining our banking expertise with Elavon's premier payment-processing network, our customers have a one-stop solution for all of their banking and payment-processing needs.”
- Apple's® iBeacon™ Technology Made Simple for Retailers, App Developers and Consumers with New BeaconStream End-to-End Solution - "By offering intelligent software and better beacons, we've made it easy for every part of the ecosystem to generate and experience the magical moments that iBeacon technology delivers," said Venkat Nallapati, CEO, BeaconStream. "Our breakthrough solution removes the complexity of implementing real-world interactions with consumers and offers superior features to enhance and track return-on-investment."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews