On the web:
- The Impact of Mobile Point of Sale on EMV Adoption - ROAM Data Blog - "In essence, EMV reduces the chance of your business accepting bogus cards and incurring unwanted liability."
- Retailers Ready for Showdown Over Credit-Card Fee Deal - Bloomberg - "Major retailers and trade associations contend that the deal isn’t nearly big enough and unfairly binds all merchants nationwide against suing over the fees in the future."
- First Data Could Scuttle Interchange Settlement - StorefrontBacktalk - "Technically, First Data isn’t opting out of the settlement as a card processor—it’s opting out as a merchant…"
- Swipe-Fee Settlement Opt-Out Deadline Today, May 28 - CSPnet.com - "Today, Tuesday, May 28, is the deadline for retailers to object to or opt out of the $7.25 billion settlement over interchange or "swipe" fees…"
- Coinbase Leads Charge In Bitcoin’s Consumerization - TechCrunch - "As a Bitcoin wallet, an exchange and a merchant payment-processing system, Coinbase is one of the most, if not the most, “legit,” user-friendly Bitcoin startups out there..."
- Regulating Bank Governance: Mandating CEO-Chairman Division at Too-Big-to-Fail Banks - Adam Levitin (CreditSlips.org) - "The Dodd-Frank Act reforms impose various financial regulations on banks. But we could also impose governance regulations on them."
- Square is the shape of things to come, says Twitter founder Jack Dorsey - Telegraph - "We’ve driven a lot of growth in the United States, but we’re really excited to get outside the US. You’ll see some announcements very soon."
- Sifting the facts from the fiction about contactless cards - Guardian - "If you weren't arrested for waving your phone around people's arses on the tube, it's pointless anyway, because you can't use the data to do anything."
- Learn About Mining Bitcoin From a Redditor
- Intel-Backed IP Commerce Shuts Payment Tool Used by Groupon - Bloomberg - "IP Commerce plans to now focus on software for retailers, software developers and sales teams…"
- Liberty Reserve digital money service forced offline - BBC - "Liberty Reserve - a Costa Rican-based digital currency service - has been shut down after the reported arrest of its founder."
On the wires:
- New Online Banking Report Published: Crowdfunding Small Businesses - "We believe crowdfunding has the potential to materially impact banking market share in the next 20 years."
- IPSO and its member banks enhance payments Risk Assessment Methodology - "The Irish Payment Services Organisation Ltd. (IPSO) conducted an external review of the methodology employed for conducting Risk Assessments in the Irish Retail Electronic Payments Clearing Company Ltd. (IRECC) and the Irish Paper Clearing Company Ltd. (IPCC), arising out of a request from the Central Bank of Ireland."
- Moneris Solutions Partners With SecureBuy, Leading Provider of Innovative E-commerce Anti-Fraud Solutions - "Moneris has integrated its proprietary eSELECTplus payments gateway into SecureBuy's popular Community and Enterprise anti-fraud solutions, adding full payment processing functionality to both."
- Seamless new distributor of prepaid cards and Electronic Top-Up in Sweden - "Seamless, which has operations in 28 countries, is one of the world’s leading suppliers of systems for topping up prepaid cards."
- Edgar, Dunn & Company Opens New Office in Mexico City, Mexico - "Jan Smith, a Director at EDC and a payments expert with twenty years of consulting experience within Latin America, will head the new office."
- Digital River Opens Office in Moscow, Russia - "With an on-shore presence and local client support in Moscow, Digital River is in a position to address some of the biggest challenges multi-national companies face when selling online in Russia, including managing the risks associated with legal compliance."