ON THE WEB
- Jumio Wins Court Approval of Sale to Centana - Wall St. Journal - "Jumio chose Centana’s $850,000 offer over a much larger offer from Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin, which the company’s shareholders vehemently opposed."
- What you need to know about blockchain technology - Toronto Star - "So what is it? Blockchain is the ingeniously simple, revolutionary protocol that allows transactions to be simultaneously anonymous and secure, peer-to-peer, instant and frictionless."
- How blockchains could change the world - McKinsey (Don Tapscott interview) - "In this interview with McKinsey’s Rik Kirkland, Tapscott explains how blockchains—an open-source distributed database using state-of-the-art cryptography—may facilitate collaboration and tracking of all kinds of transactions and interactions."
- Bitcoin: Identity crisis - FT.com - "The true identity of Satoshi Nakamoto has tantalised bitcoin’s digital treasure hunters from the earliest days of its existence."
ON THE WIRES
- MasterPass by MasterCard Simplifies Check Out for Merchants Large and Small - "More consumers will be able to check out quickly and securely now that Saks Fifth Avenue, one of the world’s premiere luxury retail destinations and Poshmark, the largest social commerce marketplace for buying and selling fashion, plan to accept MasterPass by MasterCard..."
- Visa Europe: Online spending grows at fastest rate for 16 months as the experience economy powers ahead - "A very strong month for online sellers suggests much of the experience economy is being driven by pre-booking of activities online. While online prospered, face-to-face spending was relatively flat, highlighting the current discussion about the future shape of the high street as well."
- Wells Fargo Revs Up Payments Process With Fastest Lockbox Network - "One of the fastest ways for a company to turn that paper check into a deposit is to use the Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC) lockbox network, which for the first time is ranked America’s fastest, according to the new Phoenix-Hecht Postal Survey™ Release 2015-2."
- Fortumo Launches Direct Carrier Billing in India with Reliance Communications - "India is a market very well suited for direct carrier billing. While only 4% of people in the country have access to credit cards, Fortumo’s platform allows content partners to collect payments from any mobile phone owner. This can be done regardless of whether the consumer has a prepaid SIM card or a postpaid contract with their mobile operator."
- PostFinance Fights Fraud and Security Threats with Splunk Enterprise - "The Swiss bank utilizes the Splunk platform to help find, analyze and respond to known, unknown, and hidden threats found in its data, as well as detect potentially fraudulent debit card transactions."
- UK Banks Could Create an £8.5 Billion Revenue Opportunity by Broadening SME Services, Accenture Study Finds - "The report “SME Banking 2020; Changing the Conversation,” which surveyed 1,000 UK SMEs about perceptions of their bank, including the relevance of products and services offered, found that SMEs are demanding more value-added services to meet their broader business needs, and banks have an opportunity to develop more tailored propositions to meet these."
- Upserve Acquires Breadcrumb POS - "Breadcrumb and Upserve go together like peanut butter and jelly," said Upserve Founder and CEO Angus Davis. "Our product range offers restaurants the most comprehensive solution on the market."
- Lending Club Reports First Quarter 2016 Results - Chairman & CEO Renaud Laplanche Resigns - "Lending Club today also reported that on May 6, 2016, the board of directors accepted the resignation of Renaud Laplanche as Chairman and CEO. His resignation followed an internal review of sales of $22 million in near-prime loans to a single investor, in contravention of the investor's express instructions as to a non-credit and non-pricing element, in March and April 2016."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!