On the web:
- How to Deregulate Payments (like Telecom) - FinVentures (Tom Noyes) - "Lawmakers should endeavor to kick start a new wave of investment from 100s of companies in payments and commerce. Working to make payments a competitive market, just as Telecom is today."
- Five Charged in Hacking of Financial Companies - New York Times - "Federal prosecutors on Thursday brought what they called the largest hacking and data breach case in the country, charging five people with … stealing and selling at least 160 million credit and debit card numbers."
- Why just play catchup? - Tomorrow's Transactions Blog - "The US could benefit by skipping Chip and PIN and installing something modern."
- Andreessen Horowitz: Bullish on Bitcoin - Fortune Term Sheet - "Horowitz also said that Andreessen Horowitz has made several small Bitcoin-related investments, but declined to disclose them."
- New MMU data analysis framework aimed to accelerate customer adoption - GSMA Mobile Money for the Unbanked - "Are there places that operators can intervene to accelerate the adoption of mobile money and shorten the journey to regular usage?"
- Citi Bike Accidentally Exposes Customer Credit Card Information WSJ Metropolis Blog - "A Citi Bike software glitch accidentally exposed sensitive personal and financial information — including credit card numbers — of more than 1,000 of its account holders..."
- Zimbabwe's currency crisis and the 100 trillion dollar note - Financial Services Club Blog - "The result is that the government issued four rounds of currency devaluations ending with the final laughable situation of issuing a 100 trillion dollar note (worth around US$300 when issued)"
- CEO View – Battle of the Cloud Part 5 - FinVentures (Tom Noyes) - "There is a payment war going on right now and it is the subject of C Suite strategy talks. The battle is happening at every level."
- Ally Bank to Discontinue Card-Linked Deals & Offers - My Bank Tracker - "Program utilization had declined significantly in the past year, so we decided to cancel the program…"
- Why fast food can be the leader in mobile shopping - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Through mobile payments, these vendors only need a few small devices to efficiently receive transactions from their hungry consumers and to sidestep the pitfall of “cash only.”"
On the wires:
- FleetCor Signs Partnership Agreement with Visa Europe - "Allstar will be the first to offer this Visa Europe chip and PIN technology in the commercial fuel card space."
- MasterCard Announces the Retirement of Chief Marketing Officer Alfredo Gangotena - "Tim Murphy, MasterCard’s chief product officer, will add oversight of marketing to his current responsibilities on an interim basis as the search for a chief marketing officer is conducted."
- Petition Against Passwords Empowers Consumers to Voice Their Demand for Greater and More Convenient Online Identity Protection - "Designed to help consumers voice their desire for greater and more convenient online identity protection, the initiative is backed by a new generation of identity companies, each offering a replacement for hack-prone usernames and passwords on the web."
- MoneyGram International Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- hyperWALLET Chooses Earthport to Enhance Cross-Border Payments Service - "Under the new agreement, hyperWALLET will leverage Earthport’s global network to deliver more competitive payments services to a greater number of countries."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Be sure to take our new Payments and Bitcoin survey asking what you think about Bitcoin in particular and math-based currencies in general!
- Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp! - A special summer session of our popular Payments Boot Camp - in Half Moon Bay on August 6th and 7th is ALMOST SOLD OUT! We're also leading a half day course on Data In Payments - August 8th, also in Half Moon Bay. Join Carol, Scott and Russ for lively, interactive sessions - register now!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
- Follow Glenbrook Partners on LinkedIn! -
- Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews