On the Web:
- Is Bitcoin a joke? People thought that about the internet too. - Vox - "These criticisms give venture capitalist Marc Andreessen a sense of deja vu. Twenty years ago, he was an early adopter of another technology that was widely dismissed as an impractical fad: the internet."
- Get Paid: GoDaddy Links With PayPal, Dwolla, Stripe For A Mobile & Web Payment Service - TechCrunch - "Today, it is launching “Get Paid,” a new online and mobile payments service created with existing digital payments heavyweights PayPal, Dwolla and Stripe."
- California Governor Grants Bitcoin ‘Legal Money’ Status - CoinDesk - "The 39th Governor of California Jerry Brown has officially signed Assembly Bill 129, the measure that sought to grant bitcoin and other digital currencies ‘legal money’ status, into law..."
- BBVA launches NFC payments based on Visa HCE specifications - NFC World - "Customers in Spain with an Android NFC handset can use host card emulation (HCE) to make contactless payments today..."
- BBVA launches the first commercial solution for Visa cloud-based mobile payments - Visa Vision Blog - "The international expansion of BBVA Wallet has been made possible through Visa’s Cloud Based Payments specification, part of which incorporates the use of Host Card Emulation (HCE) technology."
- Regulation Around Bitcoin Starting to Clear, Says Circle CEO - Wall St. Journal Digits Blog - "Allaire said that while there was still regulatory uncertainty around bitcoin, the “clouds were parting,” with governments, banks, and traditional institutional investors beginning to take a serious interest in the cryptocurrency."
- Bitcoin to Get More Attention From U.S. Consumer Bureau - Bloomberg - "Bitcoin and other digital currencies will get more attention from the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau after prodding from a congressional watchdog."
- Beacons, social commerce to play bigger role for 2014 holiday season - Mobile Marketer - "One mobile strategy that could be evident during the upcoming holiday season is the use of image recognition and augmented reality to enable shoppers to point their phones at a shelf or display and see relevant product information."
- Coinfloor Exchange Integrates UK Faster Payments - NewsBTC - "London based crypto-currency exchange Coinfloor announced on Monday via their official blog that they have integrated UK Faster Payments due to consumer demand."
- Visa Australia head says future proof Australia's payments - ANZ Blue Notes Blog - "The RBA’s recent research on payments behaviour shows use of cash is declining across all demographic groups, which the RBA says could be in part because new payment technology can match or surpass the speed of paying with cash."
- Weighing the New Credit-Card Come-Ons - Wall St. Journal (Robin Sidel) - "Financial institutions have long besieged consumers with pitches for new credit cards, but if you feel like even more offers have been flying into your mailbox and email inbox recently, you probably are right."
- 1M steps in the right direction - KopoKopo Blog - "We’re thrilled to announce a big milestone for Team Kopo Kopo. A few weeks ago, we processed our 1,000,000th payment via Lipa na M-PESA."
- Max Levchin's Plans to Reinvent Consumer Finance - Inc. - "Levchin says he hopes to trade on millennials' mistrust of big financial institutions, as well as their tendency to use debit over credit, as sixty percent of them do."
On the Wires:
- GoDaddy Unveils ‘Get Paid’ to Help Small Businesses Get Paid Anytime, Anywhere by Any Method - "With Get Paid, small business owners can create and send invoices and estimates, accept all payment types on any device, set up recurring invoices, bill expenses back to clients, manage weekly sales and expenses and track billable and non-billable time."
- US GAO: VIRTUAL CURRENCIES: Emerging Regulatory, Law Enforcement, and Consumer Protection Challenges - "GAO recommends that CFPB take steps to identify and participate in pertinent interagency working groups addressing virtual currencies, in coordination with other participating agencies. CFPB concurred with this recommendation."
- First Data Appoints Gretchen Garrigues as Chief Marketing Officer - “Gretchen brings to First Data an ingrained instinct for how our company is, first and foremost, a partner to help businesses of all sizes flourish through innovations and solutions that help them grow,” said Plumeri. “Gretchen and her team will share that message with the thousands of financial institutions and millions of merchants with whom we do business every day and carry it forward to a new legion of First Data clients,” Plumeri added.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews