- The last Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp of 2014 is being held next week, December 9 and 10, in Palo Alto, California. Our Payments Boot Camp provides a comprehensive introduction to the payments systems in the U.S., an overview of global payments, and lots of insights into what's happening in emerging payments. Join Carol Coye Benson and me for this final session of the year! - register here!
On the Web:
- Sweden’s Klarna to Invest $100 Million in U.S. Launch - Wall St. Journal - "Unlike other tech startups, which tend to prefer working out of Silicon Valley or New York, the Swedish company has decided to set up shop in Columbus, Ohio."
- Mobile Wallets: A Smart Way to Pay? - Kiplinger - "Using your smartphone to store your credit card and bank information is convenient and secure, but don’t leave your wallet at home just yet."
- Apple Pay from the Front Lines - GonzoBanker - "After using my iPhone for less than a month to make about a dozen payments, I’ve actually started to unintentionally reach for my phone instead of my wallet when it’s time to pay for something. Yikes."
- With Fraud Afoot, Shield Your Wallet - New York Times - "That is why it’s a good idea to use a credit card when shopping online, or if you must use a debit card, use it in conjunction with something like PayPal..."
- Preparing for Chip-and-PIN Cards in the United States - New York Times - "In total, roughly 70 percent of credit cards and 40 percent of debit cards are expected to use the technology by the end of next year, though the introduction of upgraded checkout systems will not be completed until the end of the decade."
- Taking One Touch™ Mobile Payments International - Braintree Blog - "Today, in an effort to help people and businesses connect more seamlessly, reduce friction from buying on mobile and support innovation globally, we’re rolling out One Touch with PayPal in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the UK."
- Seeing Explosive Mobile Growth as We Open Our New Office in San Francisco - Braintree Blog - "Our data confirms what we’ve known all along -- mobile is becoming the primary computing device and consumers are starting to expect a frictionless buying experience on mobile."
- Why Apple Pay may be the gateway drug bitcoin needs - Gigaom - "Most consumers don’t understand the technology that is transferring the USD in their iPhone to the Walgreens, so if that was replaced with bitcoin’s blockchain technology, one may not notice."
- This Investor Thinks Bitcoin Will Change EVERYTHING — Not Just Finance - Business Insider UK - "The Bitcoin block chain is different because everything underlying it is published, and there's no central controlling entity."
- O’Reilly Media Unveils Blockchain Event, Announces Bitcoin Integration Nationwide - Coinbase Blog - "Taking place this winter in San Francisco, the one-day event will give attendees an opportunity to learn about Bitcoin’s significance and potential, and educate them on ways to leverage its tools, technologies and processes to expand and contribute to the ecosystem."
On the Wires:
- New Innovation Lab in East Africa to Expand Digital Financial Services - "MasterCard Labs for Financial Inclusion launching in East Africa with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to develop financial services that help people build better futures..."
- Amadeus and Worldpay partnership further simplifies travel payments - Celia Pereiro, Head of Travel Payments at Amadeus commented: “We are pleased to partner with one of Europe’s largest payment services providers. Worldpay will help us to fulfil our customers’ payment needs across the globe through a simple payment experience offered to their travellers."
- MasterCard Takes Priceless Surprises To New Heights - “Today’s surprise is just one way we’re taking our Priceless Surprises platform to a whole new level by bringing in new partners and delivering surprises through new platforms to drive cardholder affinity,” said Raja Rajamannar, chief marketing officer, MasterCard.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews