On the Web:
- Target Hit by Credit-Card Breach - Wall St. Journal - "Target Corp. was hit by an extensive theft of its customers' credit card data over the key Black Friday weekend, people familiar with the matter said..."
- Visa digital wallet service V.me launches in Oz - ZDNet - "Visa has followed through on its promise to deliver its digital wallet service V.me in Australia before Christmas..."
- Britain to Join Ranks of Nations Using Plastic Currency - New York Times - "Polymer bank notes, as they are called, are catching on around the world, despite skepticism from consumers wherever they are introduced."
- The Biggest Skimmers of All: Fake ATMs - Krebs on Security - "When the transaction failed, the customer became suspicious and discovered that this ATM wasn’t a cash machine at all, but a complete fake designed to be seated directly on top of the real cash machine."
- Klarna Acquires Germany’s Sofort For $150M To Build A Formidable European Payment Network - TechCrunch - "Klarna may not be well-known in the U.S. but it was started with the mission of allowing consumers to buy goods the way they do in physical stores — by touching and feeling them before they pay for them."
- Amazon follows PayPal into mPOS for in-store presence - Mobile Commerce Daily - "What would happen if Amazon became a POS provider, especially for small retailers?"
- VeriFone Systems Management Discusses Q4 2013 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha - Paul Galant's first call as CEO
- VeriFone’s New CEO Outlines His Plans To Get the Terminal Maker Back on Track - Digital Transactions - "With its gateways, security services and other software products, VeriFone has become much more than the POS terminal maker so familiar to independent sales organizations and others in the merchant-acquiring industry."
- Bitcoin Price Falls Further as BTC China Exchange Shuts Off Fiat Deposits - CoinDesk - "Right now we, as a bitcoin exchange, have suspended taking all deposits in RMB."
- Bitcoin Value Sinks After Chinese Exchange Move - New York Times - “It is not issued by a central monetary authority, it does not have the properties of legal currency and it is not a currency in the real meaning of the word.”
- China Continues Clampdown on Bitcoin - Virtual Currency Report - "Some observers have suggested that it is likely that there will be further guidance from the PBOC clarifying its stance. For the moment though, the signals are very mixed, to say the least."
- U.S. Treasury cautions Bitcoin businesses on legal duties - Reuters - "Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) has sent "industry outreach" letters to about a dozen firms, regarding potential anti-money laundering compliance obligations related to Bitcoin businesses..."
- Coinbase Crosses 650,000 Users - "The share of consumers interested in buying Bitcoin who were women rose to 12.5 percent of our total base in November from 5.8 percent in October."
- Barclays Bank of Kenya rolls out mobile cash access service - Mobile Payments Today - "The service will allow Barclays Bank of Kenya account-holders to use a Barclays ATM to transfer money to mobile phone subscribers."
On the Wires:
- Bluefin Payment Systems to Launch International Payment Processing in Q1 2014
- Mobile Payments Raise Consumer Protection Questions for Canadians - "In their study entitled Mobile Payments and Consumer Protection in Canada, the authors examined the extent to which financial consumers in Canada are protected when making m-payments and found that consumer protections vary across the Canadian marketplace."
- Discover Recognized as a Best Place to Work for LGBT Equality - “Leveraging our diversity and providing options and benefits that support our employees’ well-being are not only the right things to do; they are also key business drivers that set us apart from our competitors and make us a stronger organization.”
- First American Payment Systems Introduces New Restaurant Enhancements to 1stPayPOS™ Software Update - "The first of many scheduled enhancements, 1stPayPOS™ 2.0 includes tip adjustment, upgrades to business analytics, and other features designed for restaurants, cafés, coffee shops, and bars, among other businesses."
- Archway Continues to Demonstrate Retail Supply Chain Execution Leadership Through Gift Cards - "Archway is one of the only fulfillment services companies authorized by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card to fulfill financial cards."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews