On the Web:
- PayPal on hunt for takeovers after eBay split - FT.com - “The balance sheet affords us the opportunity to look opportunistically where it makes sense to acquire,” said Mr Schulman. “I think there is a tremendous opportunity to look across the world.”
- Apple Pay 'To Go Live in UK Next Week' Enabling Contactless Payments By iPhone - Yahoo! News - "Apple Pay is due to launch in the UK on 14 July, enabling iPhone and Apple Watch users to pay for goods without the need for cash or a credit or debit card."
- Kenya’s Safaricom might have to spin off M-Pesa, the world’s largest mobile money business - Quartz - "If the new regulations pass parliament, Safaricom could be forced to separate its mobile money unit, M-Pesa, from its mobile phone services (voice and data) and infrastructure businesses, potentially weakening its position in the market."
- India’s Leader Maps Out a More Robust Digital Future - New York Times - "In addition, the Digital India campaign includes a commitment to providing citizens with access to health care, education, banking, insurance, pension and agricultural services through a network of “common service centers” that are supposed to be open in 250,000 villages across the country by 2019."
- Bitcoin: What you didn't know but always wanted to ask - Quintessence (BNP Paribas) - "Two scenarios for the integration of the technology in the post trade infrastructure. What would happen if the ownership of securities were recorded in a blockchain? We envisage two scenarios for the integration of this technology in the post trade world."
- Nathaniel Popper’s ‘Digital Gold’ Looks at Bitcoin - New York Times Sunday Book Review - "Popper tells his story through a global cast of characters — technologists, altruists, evangelists, crooks and money men — who are every bit as memorable as Han Solo."
On the Wires:
- Visa Europe: 1 billion Visa contactless purchases made in last year - Sandra Alzetta, Executive Director of Core Products at Visa Europe said: “Contactless momentum continues to build as more and more people discover it’s often the quickest and most convenient way to pay for everyday things. Across Europe, usage levels have soared, with more than one billion contactless transactions made by Visa cardholders in the last 12 months alone."
- Western Union Enhances Mobile Money Transfer Capabilities in Africa - “Western Union continues to grow its reach across Africa, while delivering an exceptional experience across retail and mobile platforms, allowing our customers to conveniently and reliably move money,” said Khalid Fellahi, senior vice president and general manager, Western Union Digital. “Furthermore, Western Union seeks to promote global economic opportunity by bridging gaps in the traditional financial services system, and strives to provide consumers with 24x7 access to Western Union services.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on August 6 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews