On the web:
- Wells Fargo's John Stumpf, the 2013 Banker of the Year - American Banker (Maria Aspan) - "Stumpf is quick to share credit: "The star of the team here is the team." And much of the team's success, he says, is rooted in what he calls the "community bank DNA" that permeates the company."
- Google Wallet Creators Reflect on Its Failures, Lessons - Fast Company - "The service was too dependent on a string of outside players, including the merchants, the phone makers, the credit-card companies, and most dangerously, the carriers."
- Physical Google Wallet Card launches; drain your balance without NFC - Arstechnica - "The physical Google Wallet Card is back—sort of. The new version of the Wallet Card is basically a debit card for a Google Wallet account."
- New holiday savings and loyalty rewards with Google Wallet - "For a limited time, get a special holiday bonus for linking your membership or signing up with these top brands; download the Google Wallet app on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store to get started..."
- ShopKick starts rolling out iBeacon-powered shopBeacon in closed beta - iMore - "ShopKick has debuted shopBeacon, a retail bluetooth transmitter that uses Apple's iBeacon technology to help find items that shoppers want. The shopBeacon is currently in a closed beta in two Macy's stores, one in San Francisco and the other in New York."
- ISIS Launch Boosts NFC Payments - StorefrontBacktalk - "However, with an estimated $235.4 billion globally in mobile payment transactions in 2013, there is plenty of opportunity for both the NFC Forum and the Bluetooth SIG to reap the bounty of financial rewards the partnership could create."
- Consumer Reports Takes Closer Look at #Prepaid Features and Fees - TMG Blog - "Consumer Reports recently reviewed 26 different prepaid cards and evaluated them based on four different factors." http://pandodaily.com/2013/11/20/can-coin-avoid-the-backlash-endemic-to-popular-hardware-startups/Can Coin avoid the backlash endemic to popular hardware startups? - PandoDaily - "Hardware projects are often victims of their own celebrity, and Coin will either continue or disrupt this trend."
- What The Bitcoin Bubble Really Says About The Cryptocurrency - ReadWrite - "“The Chinese have the right idea. They’re stockpiling it the way you’d store value in gold, real estate, equity, or stocks. They see it as another asset class.”
- Secret Service Investigating Rash of Card Fraud in Northwest, Supermarket Wholesaler May be to Blame
On the wires:
- Isis Introduces Alliance Program to Support Merchant Technology Partners - "The Isis Alliance Program supports merchant technology ecosystem partners with exclusive tools and resources to help them capitalize on the opportunities created by mobile commerce."
- Visa and i2c Form Alliance to Bring Better Prepaid Solutions to Global Markets - "Visa has announced a strategic alliance with global prepaid processor i2c, Inc., affirming its commitment to the growing prepaid market in Asia-Pacific, Central Europe, Middle East & Africa (APCEMEA)."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews