The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts. -B Russell— Alex Rampell (@arampell) September 3, 2013
On the web:
- BitMonet: Pay-per-view for the Internet - IEEE Spectrum - "Publishing houses most likely chose this payment model to offset the high processing fees that credit cards bundle into their purchases..."
- Why Debit Cards Will Survive with Lower Swipe Fees - American Banker BankThink (Mark Horwedel) - "In the hands of the signature networks, debit interchange became a new source of revenue that today is viewed by the banks as a natural right."
- A Look Back at the History of the Federal Reserve - The Big Picture - "What did the Federal Reserve Act do? According to the preamble of the Act, the intent was “to furnish an elastic currency.”"
- EMV Is Coming to the United States--Right? - Portals and Rails Blog - "Based on comments I've also heard at recent industry conferences, many of the major card issuers' replacement plans seem to be focused on card replacement for international travelers and high net worth/private banking clients rather than a wholesale card replacement effort."
- Stripe in Ireland - Stripe Blog - "With Stripe’s launch in Ireland, we’re bringing all our core functionality to every Irish individual and business: instant setup, full control over the user experience, straightforward pricing, and a fully integrated stack."
- GSMA's MMU releases infographic on the Kenyan experience with mobile money - GSMA Mobile Money for the Unbanked Blog - "The Kenyan Journey to Digital Financial Inclusion is an infographic that chronicles the development of mobile money in the country tracing how policy decisions and product innovations worked together to connect three quarters of the Kenyan people to electronic payments and other products."
On the wires:
- Oberthur Technologies’ contactless payment solution selected by Movistar Chile and Banco Santander Chile - "The complete NFC solution provided by Oberthur Technologies includes a TSM to deploy and manage the service Over-The-Air (OTA), NFC SIM cards, a Mobile PayPass™ payment application and a convenient mobile wallet allowing end-users to activate their payment cards and view their transactions history from their Samsung Galaxy S3 phones."
- Western Union Expands Mobile Money Transfer Service to Nepal - "The new mobile money transfer service to Nepal integrates directly with eSewa, one of the leading digital wallet platforms in Nepal with more than 200,000 registered users."
- Cynergy Data Chooses ROAM to Power Its Custom-Branded Mobile POS Solution - "Now, merchants, Independent Sales Organizations (ISOs) and Financial Institutions (FIs) can take advantage of the massive mobile payment revolution with an all-in-one mobile point of sale (mPOS) solution from Cynergy Data."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews