On the Web:
- How Bitcoin is Disrupting Argentina’s Economy - New York Times Magazine - "Banks everywhere hold money and move it around; they help make it possible for money to function as both a store of value and a medium of exchange. But thanks in large part to their country’s history of financial instability, a small yet growing number of Argentines are now using Bitcoin instead to fill those roles."
- MasterCard seen stealing a march on Visa as China opens doors - Reuters - "It's pretty close ... but MasterCard has a little more leeway than Visa because of its existing relationship with China UnionPay," Wedbush Securities analyst Gil Luria told Reuters.
- Security and Apple Pay Adoption: A Discussion with Datamonitor’s Kit Carson - FICO Blog - "Kit was nice enough to share some of his thoughts with FICO on Apple Pay and how the marketplace will continue to evolve and adopt this new payment option."
- Chip-and-PIN Security for Payment Cards Won’t Happen Until 2020: Forrester - Wall St. Journal CIO Journal - "The switch to EMV technology in brick-and-mortar stores is a step in the right direction, but doesn’t solve the entire payment security problem."
- Western Union 'Exploring' Pilot Program With Ripple Labs - CoinDesk - "Global remittance giant Western Union is reportedly working on a pilot program with distributed payment protocol provider Ripple Labs."
- Uber Is Quietly Testing A Massive Merchant Delivery Program - TechCrunch - "Uber is planning to launch a merchant delivery program that would allow online shoppers to get same-day delivery of goods through both UberRush couriers and Uber drivers."
- How Sony Makes Money Off Apple’s iPhone - Wall St. Journal - "Each one contains two Sony-made image sensors and related parts, which generate revenue of as much as $20 per phone for Sony, analysts say."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Incorporated Reports First-Quarter Financial Results - “We are managing well, despite a mixed economic environment and challenging currency situation,” said Ajay Banga, president and CEO, MasterCard. “The underlying fundamentals of our business remain unchanged, driving our ability to sign new agreements with Citi and Itaú, work with digital giants and expand our support of the merchant community. This, combined with our focus on costs, allowed us to continue to deliver solid results in the first quarter.”
- Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) Appoints Brian V. Mooney Chief Executive Officer - "Mooney was most recently CEO and a board member of Bank of America Merchant Services, one of the largest U.S. merchant payment acquirers, serving a significant segment of large U.S. merchants and handling billions of transactions."
- Banking with a Fingerprint: Digital Insight Offers Touch ID to Access Finances - “Touch ID frees consumers from having to enter their username and password in order to access their finances,” said Dan Weis, senior product manager at Digital Insight. “The speed and ease-of-use of Touch ID will provide financial institutions another innovation to offer their customers and members and further help them differentiate in the marketplace.”
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board Grants PQI’s Requests for Review of Three Patents Related to Loyalty Programs - "In October, Askeladden filed six IPR petitions requesting review of the three patents, U.S. Patent Nos. 8,297,502, 8,523,063 and 8,540,152, on the grounds that they are invalid. The PTAB issued decisions on April 23, 2015, which found that Askeladden’s petitions established a reasonable likelihood that each of the claims in each of the patents is invalid. A final decision on invalidity is expected within one year."
- Introducing Amazon Business: Everything You Love About Amazon, For Your Business - “We’ve heard from business customers that they love the convenience of shopping online, and want an experience at work that is similar to how they shop at home,” said Prentis Wilson, Vice President of Amazon Business. “Amazon Business delivers a new and expanded marketplace that brings the selection, convenience and value of Amazon to business customers, manufacturers and sellers with the additional selection, features and back-end integration businesses need to save time and money.”
- Western Union and U.S. Bank Extend Relationship - Carter Hunt, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Western Union U.S., said, “We are pleased to extend our relationship with U.S. Bank, and we remain committed to bringing customers the high level of customer service and innovation they have come to expect from our company.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews