On the Web:
- MasterCard Reaches Deal with Russia - Wall St. Journal - "MasterCard and Russia’s national payment system agreed on Dec. 30 to gradually move the processing of the U.S. company’s transactions within Russia under the roof of its Russian counterpart, the central bank said."
- Alibaba Pays to Play in India - Wall St. Journal - "The Indian company’s prize asset is Paytm, a mobile-payments platform, which also runs an online marketplace in India that matches merchants to shoppers, similar to Alibaba’s business model in China."
- Level Money has joined Capital One - Level Money Blog - "Much younger and nimbler than any other top bank, Capital One is a founder-led company on a mission to transform the way banking is done. Taking a technology-based, consumer-centric focus to banking is core to what Capital One does, and on that team we found a deep passion for solving old problems in a new way."
- PayPal Credit Expansion Now Lets Merchants Set Terms, Including Option For Interest-Free Payments - TechCrunch - "PayPal Credit is expanding its support for monthly payments with an option for retailers that allows them to decide on the number of months and interest rates that work best for their customers."
- Why Tort Liability Won’t Produce Good Cybersecurity - Steptoe Cyberblog (Stewart Baker) - "In the end I doubt that liabilities to issuing banks will drive much cybersecurity either, not because the claims are low — they’re more likely to be in the $50 per card range — but because establishing liability will not be all that easy and because things like tokenization will likely prove much cheaper than improving security.)"
- SWIFT appoints new Chief Technology and Chief Operations Officers - SWIFT - "SWIFT announces the appointment of Craig Young as Chief Technology Officer and Marcel Bronmans as Chief Operations Officer. Both Young and Bronmans will sit on SWIFT's Executive Committee and report directly to CEO Gottfried Leibbrandt."
On the Wires:
- Heartland First to Offer Comprehensive Merchant Breach Warranty - "Heartland’s breach warranty is offered at no charge to its Heartland Secure™ merchants in the first year and can be extended for $8.33 per month per card-entry device. To be covered under the warranty, a merchant must have a Heartland Secure-certified device and process payments through Heartland on that device."
- Verifone Offers Merchants a Single mPOS Payment Terminal to Support All Major Smart Device Options - “The prospect of having to purchase new mPOS devices for sales associates when smartphones and tablets are upgraded has been a major inhibitor to mPOS investment among retailers,” said Mark Shockley, senior vice president of Mobile Solutions for Verifone. “Verifone’s single, modular solution will offer the ultimate in mPOS flexibility, allowing it to persist across changes in devices, even if somebody wants to make a complete switch from one OS to another.”
- Vantiv Certifies Verifone’s Secure Commerce Architecture - “Vantiv’s certification of SCA from Verifone combined with Point-to-Point Encryption ensures many more merchants can significantly reduce their exposure to large scale payment data breaches, and further reduce the complexity associated with EMV certification,” said Rob McMillon, vice president of Product Security for Verifone.
- Bank of America Launches National Advertising Campaign for Preferred Rewards - “When we spoke to our clients to find out what they valued most from a rewards program, they clearly said they seek everyday rewards and benefits that they would actually use,” said David Dintenfass, Global Wealth and Investment Management and Consumer Marketing executive at Bank of America.
- NCR Unveils a New ‘Grab and Go’ Self-Checkout Solution - "Whether in the supermarket or at a convenience, department, specialty or DIY retailer, there is a large amount of checkout traffic that can be handled with this card-only, small footprint solution,” says Dusty Lutz, general manager self-checkout solutions at NCR Retail. “This technology is ideally designed for ‘grab-and-go’ convenience for driving more revenue and convenience during peak shopping hours.”
- FreedomPay Announces PCI-Validated Point-to-Point Encryption And EMV Support Through Newly Enhanced Microsoft Azure - “The FreedomPay Commerce Platform on Azure offers customers security, scalability and access to real-time data,” said Christopher Kronenthal, Chief Technology Officer at FreedomPay. “Microsoft has enabled FreedomPay to deploy one of the industry’s most comprehensive payment security standards and transactional data services to merchants embracing a real-time retail ecosystem.”
- BMO Launches iPad App with Integrated Access to Banking and Self-Directed Investing - "With one streamlined login, customers can easily manage their personal banking and self-directed investing with the added benefit of a personal financial management tool," said Cesar Rainusso, Vice-President, Digital Channels, BMO Financial Group.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews