It's Time to Register! Upcoming Payments Boot Camps
- Glenbrook's fall season of payments education kicks off in October with two sessions of our Payments Boot Camp - one in the San Francisco Bay Area on October 13-14 and the other in New York City on October 20-21. Glenbrook's Russ Jones is now leading this important payments education curriculum - he'd love to meet you at one of these sessions. Contact Russ directly if you have any questions.
On the Web
- The eGovernment – ePayment Conundrum - PaymentsViews.com (Erin McCune) - "As we work with governments to build their electronic payment strategies we sometimes need to temper their expectations given this all-too-familiar challenge. There have to be enough digitally delivered government services to warrant digital payment infrastructure, but you also need scalable, robust digital payments to support digital delivery of government services. At Glenbrook we’ve started calling this the “eGovernment-ePayment Conundrum” – and only partly in jest."
- Banks: Card Breach at Hilton Hotel Properties - Krebs on Security - "Multiple sources in the banking industry say they have traced a pattern of credit card fraud that suggests hackers have compromised point-of-sale registers in gift shops and restaurants at a large number of Hilton Hotel and franchise properties across the United States. Hilton says it is investigating the claims."
- Interchange Evidence? - Credit Slips (Adam Levitin) - "The very weird survey response on surcharging and discounting makes me wonder about the overall representativeness and reliability of the survey."
- With Bitcoin's Price Down, VCs Turning to Blockchain Technology - CoinDesk - "The rising interest in use cases for bitcoin's underlying distributed ledger, the blockchain, is influencing the investment strategies of venture capitalists..."
On the Wires
- Samsung’s Groundbreaking Mobile Payment Service – Samsung Pay – Available Starting Today in the United States - “Samsung Pay works with almost any card terminal from day one and Galaxy owners can shop with a wallet they never knew was always in their hands,” said Injong Rhee, EVP of Samsung Electronics, Global Head of Samsung Pay. “As the leader in innovation, Samsung is proud to introduce the first mobile payment solution that allows you to pay almost anywhere you can swipe or tap your card today.” - To participate initially, consumers need to have a participating MasterCard, Visa or American Express card issued by Bank of America, Citi, American Express or U.S. Bank. Samsung Pay also offers merchant credit cards through its relationship with Synchrony Financial...
- U.S. Bank and Elavon Bring More Mobile Payment Choices to Customers with Samsung Pay - “Being one of the first to offer our cardmembers and merchant customers Samsung Pay is a great example of our focus on our customers,” said Dominic Venturo, chief innovation officer at U.S. Bank. “This is an important step in the continuing evolution of payments and consistent with providing our customers the convenience of doing business with us how, when and where they want."
- Synchrony Financial Takes the Lead in Enabling Private Label Credit Card Benefits for Samsung Pay - “Today’s announcement further highlights Synchrony Financial’s leadership in mobile payments technology,” said Margaret Keane, president and CEO of Synchrony Financial. “Through our innovation and strategic partnerships, we are helping shape the future of how private label credit cards work in mobile wallets. We are proud to offer our merchant partners and their customers the value and benefits of our private label credit cards in Samsung Pay’s secure, simple and widely accepted mobile wallet.”
- First Data Strengthens Digital Wallet Leadership with Support of Samsung Pay - “First Data continues to lead the way in enabling mobile commerce globally,” said Barry McCarthy, Executive Vice President and Head of Network and Security Solutions at First Data. “With the launch of Samsung Pay, we are extending our innovative technology to ensure that, as consumers increasingly move to digital payments, First Data can enable any card in any digital wallet.”
- ACI Worldwide Helps Define and Drive Industry Standards for Real-Time Payments - "The Scheme Management Board (SMB) of the European Payments Council (EPC) has recently invited ACI’s Barry Kislingbury, lead solution consultant, to participate in the EPC Scheme Technical Forum (ESTF). With the introduction of numerous international real-time, immediate payments initiatives, the focus on the formats used to process such messages has become critical—particularly within Europe."
- UK Alternative Finance Market for Businesses Projected to Reach £10 Billion by 2020 Says Fiserv Research - Travers Clarke-Walker, Chief Marketing Officer, International Group, Fiserv said, “Our research suggests that improved and user-friendly technology is impelling the growth of alternative finance in the U.K. We have seen the P2B and crowd-funding sectors engaging in a concerted marketing push, which is likely to raise awareness significantly. The buzz around alternative finance for SMEs is giving alternative financers legitimacy and encouraging SMEs to try these alternative funding options.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
Updates from Glenbrook:
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!