ON THE WEB
- The Financial Lives of Undocumented Immigrants - Credit Slips - "Slips contributor Nathalie Martin gained access to this population in Albuquerque, New Mexico, interviewed 50 immigrants, and recently published a paper that provides an important glimpse into how this population handles money and finances."
- Blythe Masters: Wall Street Has Advantage Over Blockchain Startups - CoinDesk - "Hosted by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), the event saw Masters speaking out about what she portrayed as the risk financial incumbents face by not taking steps to investigate potential applications of blockchain technology..."
- India: Mobile payments startup JusPay gets Rs 40 crore from Accel, Bookmyshow founders - Economic Times - "The mobile payments company's technology helps companies simplify payments by aggregating different services across net banking, wallets and cards, besides also helping merchants improve success rate of payments on the platforms."
- Payments Players Move on Blockchain Tech in Industry Shake-Up - CoinDesk - "In recent months, both established companies and startups have rebranded traditional databases as "bitcoin-inspired" ledgers in an effort to take advantage of the blockchain ballyhoo and the technology's strong association with innovation."
ON THE WIRES
- CUP and Visa Sign MOU to Collaborate on Payments Security, Innovation and Financial Inclusion - "China UnionPay (CUP) and Visa Inc. today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in Shanghai with both parties agreeing to collaborate on payments security, innovation and financial inclusion. The MOU was signed between Shi Wenchao, President of CUP, and Charlie Scharf, Chief Executive Officer of Visa Inc."
- Southwest Airlines® Introduces Pay With Amazon, Enhancing Customer Experience Onboard WiFi-Equipped Aircraft - "Pay with Amazon makes it easy for millions of customers around the world to pay using their Amazon account," said Patrick Gauthier, vice president, Amazon Payments. "We are thrilled to be working with Southwest to offer customers a familiar and trusted way to pay while inflight to destinations all around the United States."
- Menlo Ventures leads $20 mln Series B for Signifyd - "Signifyd today announced it has closed $20 million in Series B funding led by Menlo Ventures, with additional participation from Allegis Capital, IA Ventures, QED Investors, Bill McKiernan and Tim Eades."
- UnionPay International Works with the Top Four Banks in Thailand to Build the Local Bankcard Switching System - "TPN is one of UnionPay's successful attempts in exploring new ways of expansion in overseas markets by exporting its technical standard, taking advantage of its technology capability; UnionPay participates in payment infrastructure construction in these markets, integrating its technologies, products, services and brand influence."
- India: Promotion of Payments through cards and digital means - "For card/ digital payments to increase, they should be easy to use, readily available and accepted, should not impose any undue financial burden on the merchant and user, and should offer an appropriate level of security."
- Interac® debit card fraud losses plummet for the sixth consecutive year - "Fraud numbers released today by Interac Association ("Interac") show that Interac Debit losses, due to skimming, have continued a six year drop setting a new record low of $11.8 million in total losses to financial institutions in 2015. This reflects a 27 per cent decrease from the previous year..."
- First Tech Federal Credit Union Focuses on Member Experience with Selection of clearXchange™ from Early Warning - "First Tech is the first credit union to join Early Warning’s clearXchange network, which is open to all banks and credit unions nationwide. clearXchange enables its network members’ account holders to securely send money to any recipient with a bank account in the United States using only the recipient’s mobile number or email address."
- TSYS and Ethoca Empower Card Issuers and Merchants to Combat Fraud - "Launched through this agreement, the TSYS Transaction Recovery NetworkSM, powered by Ethoca, provides near real-time notification of confirmed fraud that empowers issuers and online merchants to quickly recover lost revenue and eliminate the need for expensive and time-consuming chargeback processes."
- Cardlytics Introduces Platform Solutions to Power Marketing and Business Decisions with Purchase Intelligence - “As marketers saw the value of the insights we were able to provide from our flagship offering, Cardlytics Direct, we recognized a significant opportunity to extend the impact of our intelligence platform beyond our native banking channel,” said Lynne Laube, COO and President, Cardlytics. “Cardlytics Platform Solutions utilize purchase intelligence from our partnerships with more than 1,500 financial institutions to make marketing more relevant and measurable.”
- Spreedly Raises $3 Million in Equity Financing - "Spreedly's Software-as-as-Service (SaaS) platform lets customers securely store credit cards and returns a universal credit card token that can be used to transact against any of the payment gateways and third-party APIs that Spreedly supports."
- LaunchKey Next-Generation Authentication Selected by MasterCard and Silicon Valley Bank - "We're pleased to welcome LaunchKey into the fourth class of Commerce.Innovated.," said Reetika Grewal, head of Silicon Valley Bank's payments strategy. "LaunchKey aims to drive important advancements to the authentication space. We are excited to work side by side with them and share our knowledge and networks to help them develop the infrastructure and operations that they need to accelerate their growth."
- In US, Gen Z Leads in Use, Trust of Mobile Payment Systems – GfK Study - "A new GfK study shows that, in the US, Generation Z (ages 18 to 24) is twice as likely to make a mobile payment as the total population; smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices account for just 3% of all transactions in the US – but 7% among Gen Z."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!