ON THE WEB
- Relax, The Slowdown In Bitcoin Investment Isn’t As Bad As It Looks - Mattermark - "Summing, while bitcoin investment did decline in dollar terms as 2015 came to a close, the inherent lumpiness of a nascent industry’s fundraising makes the data appear worse than it actually was."
- Blockchain raises fundamental questions - FT.com - "The hype and investment have moved to blockchain start-ups that promise to decrease settlement times and cut back-office bank costs."
ON THE WIRES
- New IMF Staff Paper Looks at How to Reap the Benefits and Curtail the Risks of Virtual Currencies - "Achieving a balanced regulatory framework that guards against risks without suffocating innovation is a challenge that will require extensive international cooperation, says a new staff paper, “Virtual Currencies and Beyond: Initial Considerations,” released today by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) during the World Economic Forum."
- R3 brings eleven major global financial institutions together on a cloud based distributed ledger - "R3 and consortium member banks Barclays, BMO Financial Group, Credit Suisse, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, HSBC, Natixis, Royal Bank of Scotland, TD Bank, UBS, UniCredit and Wells Fargo each connected on an R3-managed private peer-to-peer distributed ledger, underpinned by Ethereum technology and hosted on a virtual private network in Microsoft Azure, the public cloud platform offering Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) in an accelerated development environment."
- Global Payments Partners with Mobeewave to Offer Innovative Add-On-Free Mobile Payment Acceptance Solution - "The solution is designed to enable secure, in-person payment transactions, made with any contactless credit card or mobile wallet (e.g. Apple Pay®, Samsung Pay, Android Pay™), directly on an NFC-enabled mobile device, without the need for additional hardware such as a card reader or dongle."
- Western Union Cross-Border Platform Connects Consumers to over One Billion Bank Accounts - "“The account payout network capability represents a natural evolution in Western Union's cross-border platform and omni-channel strategy to reach new digital-savvy, banked and mobile enabled consumers. Western Union is actively pursuing digital innovation enterprise wide, increasing consumers’ choice of money transfer channels and facilitating financial inclusion in emerging countries around the world."
- InComm Digital Solutions Introduces Digital Open-Loop Prepaid Products - "The new products are digital versions of Visa gift or reward cards delivered to an email address and are redeemable on any U.S.-based e-commerce site where Visa debit cards are accepted."
- Nielsen Study: Innovation in Mobile Technology, Payment Options & Retail Strategy Drive Borderless Shopping - "As technology and the retail landscape rapidly evolve, payment practices are also changing. More than half of respondents who say they shopped online during the past six months paid with a traditional credit card (53%), but roughly four-in-10 used a digital payment system such as PayPal (43%), debit card (39%) or direct debit from their bank account (38%)."
- Merchants to Face More Chargeback Challenges as CNP Fraud Escalates - "Our research revealed that almost two-thirds of physical goods merchants believe that outsourcing fraud mitigation and chargeback management has become cost effective. We believe working with a third-party solution provider who specializes in end-to-end management of CNP transactions will be the future for online merchants who are already at a higher risk for this type of fraud than their brick-and-mortar peers."
- Moneris launches business-to-business payment solutions to optimize commercial card acceptance - "Moneris' B2B services target business suppliers accepting payments from commercial customers and card issuing partners who require support enabling suppliers for card acceptance. Suppliers will be offered accounts receivable solutions that move them off of traditional cheque and invoicing systems, speed up payment delivery times and optimize business operations. Card-issuers will benefit from supplier enablement services that help simplify the migration to electronic payment acceptance for suppliers. "
- Visa Inc. Appoints Lynne Biggar as Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - "While at Time Inc., Ms. Biggar was responsible for marketing to consumers for all Time Inc. brands across all channels, direct marketing company Synapse, Time Inc. Retail, Time Inc. Books, Consumer Insights, Data Solutions and Time Customer Service. Prior to her role at Time Inc. she spent more than 20 years at American Express in a variety of general management and marketing positions in both the US and international divisions and was a member of the company’s Global Management Team."
- Payments in Portland (OR) - Join us Thursday, January 28th from 5:30-7:30 PM to hang out with your colleagues and competitors to discuss all things payments! We'll have appetizers, Oregon beer and wine. For the first time, Payments in Portland is including a short topical briefing - this month on "B2B Payments - Promise and Problems." If you have a Portland payments presence and something to say on B2B payments, let us know! RSVP HERE!
- Real Time Payments in the US: Implications for the Payment Industry - Atlanta, GA - February 10, 2016. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be moderating this discussion on what "faster payments" really means, how it's been implemented in other countries, and how it may shape banking and how we pay.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!