ON THE WEB
- Blockchain Technology: Possibilities for the U.S. Postal Service - US Postal Service Inspector General - "This paper takes an exploratory look at the technology and suggests that it may be wise for the Postal Service to explore and possibly experiment with blockchain technology in order to gain a better understanding of its potential impacts. The Postal Service could begin experimenting with financial applications and then naturally expand into other applications enabled by the technology."
- India’s Central Bank Says a Third of ATMs It Surveyed Don’t Work - Wall St. Journal - "When the Reserve Bank of India recently surveyed 4,000-odd ATM machines across the country, they found that a third weren’t working, the central bank’s Deputy Governor S.S. Mundra said this week."
- Money transfer company TransferWise raises further $26M at $1.1B valuation - TechCrunch - "Described as ‘top-up funding’, the $26 million round was led by investment management firm Baillie Gifford, with participation from existing investors."
ON THE WIRES
- Tipalti Releases First-Ever Platform to Automate the Entire Accounts Payable Workflow - "For businesses looking to scale for growth without incurring additional AP staff, automating supplier payment operations are critical. Not only do finance organizations need to contend with automated invoice workflow and complex remittance processes, they need to employ best practice financial and compliance controls to reduce risk," said Chen Amit, CEO and Co-founder of Tipalti.
- Align Obtains Insurance Covering Multi-Rail, Blockchain Payments - “Our new transaction protections further strengthen Align’s promise to provide the best possible experience for our clients, built on a foundation of trust and security,” said Align Commerce CEO and Co-founder Marwan Forzley. “Align’s policies extend to all means by which Align elects to fulfill customer transactions, including the blockchain, which we believe is an industry first.”
- Dashlane Raises $22.5 Million in Series C Funding; Announces Strategic Partnership with TransUnion - "The company can also announce that Carl Pascarella, former CEO of Visa Inc. (NYSE: V), has joined its board as an independent director. "Dashlane's ability to facilitate payments and help reduce fraud is uniquely relevant for financial institutions," said Pascarella. "I am excited to have an opportunity to lend my experience to help the team at Dashlane accomplish their vision for secure information and online payments.""
- New Spanish Payment Platform Bitnovo Allows Customers to Access Funds Directly From Their Bitcoin Wallet Using Debit Card - "Bitnovo´s prepaid debit cards are already available in euro denomination; these prepaid debit cards can be instantly charged with a simple Bitcoin transaction. The funds will be available for use as soon as the transaction is validated by the blockchain."
- Balance Credit Launches Convenient Cash Payment System - “We are pleased with this expansion of our servicing options with MoneyGram and PayNearMe. Balance Credit customers can now make payments 24/7 right in their neighborhoods at locations which are convenient to where they shop, live or work," stated Gena Evertson, COO of Balance Credit.
- FreshBooks Releases Credit Card Reader for Small Business Android Users - "This release follows the launch of the FreshBooks Card Reader for iOS earlier this year. In February, FreshBooks noted that more than 68% of the Card Reader's earliest users were already using EMV chip technology and similar high adoption rates are expected for Android users."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!