On the Web:
- The Value of PayPal and eBay Together - PayPal Forward Blog - "No other payments competitor has achieved PayPal’s success – because no other competitor has a commerce platform like eBay. PayPal is successful precisely because we are part of eBay Inc., not in spite of it."
- Gang Rigged Pumps With Bluetooth Skimmers - Krebs on Security - "This blog has featured several stories about gas-pump skimmers that were Bluetooth enabled. What’s remarkable is how common these attacks have become."
- A new way to pay: Dash rolls out more mobile payment tools at restaurants - Macworld - "If you have Dash installed on your phone, the Bluetooth-enabled Dashboard pushes you an alert when you walk into a venue where you can use the app to pay."
- EBay Says Icahn Proposes PayPal Spinoff - Bloomberg - "The investor is proposing to spin off online payments unit PayPal, one of EBay’s faster-growing businesses."
- LG Reveals Fingerprint ID Coming to their Smartphones this Year - "LG Electronics has revealed that they'll be integrating fingerprint recognition functionality into their premium smartphones ... later this year..."
- Argentina restricts online shopping as foreign reserves drop - BBC - "Argentina has introduced new restrictions on online shopping as part of efforts to stop foreign currency reserves from falling any further."
- Bitcoin Targets Payments Business of Giants Visa to JPMorgan - Bloomberg BusinessWeek - “Perhaps the rise of Bitcoin will put pressure on big banks to get us a more modern payment system,” said Jennifer Tescher, president of the Center for Financial Services Innovation, a Chicago-based research group.
- Card-Theft Software Grew in Internet's Dark Alleys - Wall St. Journal - "The Reedum malware worked like a Trojan horse by hiding its malicious nature and compromising systems from inside."
- Priorities for the future - Visa Europe (Nicolas Huss) - "As a membership organisation focused on European solutions for the best interests of all parties in our four‐party model, our continued success is good for the European economy because electronic payments fuel commerce, replace inefficient and expensive cash and fight the shadow economy."
- Visa to step up marketing of V.me - Marketing Week (UK) - "Jonathan Vaux, V.me commercial director, says it will use “assets” such as its World Cup sponsorship to raise awareness of the service. Ads will push the convenience and security of V.me."
- T-Mobile Hopes to Shake Up the Check-Cashing Industry, Too - Re/code.net - "Through the combination of a smartphone and a prepaid Visa debit card, T-Mobile (and its banking partner, Bancorp) aims to offer many of the services typically offered through a bank, including check cashing, direct deposit and bill pay."
- T-Mobile wants to be your next bank The Verge - "T-Mobile's chief marketing officer Mike Sievert says the service could save the "typical household" using a check casher to cash their paychecks "about $1,500 per year.""
- On the Matter of Why Bitcoin Matters - Medium (Glenn Fleishman) - "As a currency, I have little faith that it will become a replacement for dollars, euros, or renminbi. As a model for a future payment and transaction system, I believe it’s already shown its value."
- B2B e-commerce gets its own publication - Internet Retailer - "B2Bec News, a weekly e-mail newsletter, will cover technology and strategies that manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors are using to sell online to businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, including universities and hospitals."
On the Wires:
- Mobile Money by T-Mobile - “Millions of Americans pay outrageous fees to check cashers, payday lenders and other predatory businesses – just for the right to use their own money. Mobile Money shifts the balance of power for T-Mobile customers and keeps more money in their pockets.”
- 18% Increase in Online Spending with Visa Fuels Solid Growth for the Business in the UK - "UK consumers’ preference for electronic payments continued to increase in 2013 as Visa Europe announces that spending with UK Visa credit, debit, commercial and prepaid cards increased by 9.2% to £445bn. This is according to Visa Europe’s annual results for the year to 30th September 2013, which are announced today."
- E-wallets to rival cards as world’s most popular payment type by 2017 - WorldPay - "E-wallets will equal cards as the most popular payment method globally, with each predicted to have a 41% share of the overall payments market. In 2012, $295 billion was processed through e-wallet payments. This is set to rise to $1,656 billion by 2017."
- HID Global Acquires IdenTrust to Expand Its Leadership Position in Secure Identity Solutions
- ETA Announces Acquirer Executive Roundtable at "TRANSACT 14: Powered by ETA" - "Three top executives from the nation's largest acquirers, Debra Rossi, EVP of Wells Fargo and CEO of Wells Fargo Merchant Services, Donald Boeding, President of Vantiv, and Brian Mooney, CEO of Bank of America Merchant Services, LLC, will share their expertise..."
- Financial Institution Credit Cards Score High in Security, Compared to Retailer Credit Cards - "Card fraud is highly pervasive. Affecting 7.5 million Americans in 2012, total card fraud losses reached almost $8 billion in 2012."
Updates from Glenbrook:
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org