On the web:
- How Jack Dorsey approached the payments market: As a buyer - GigaOm - "To me, a lot of what great engineering and design is, is taking something that is very large and very complex and breaking it into simple problems.”
- Host-based Card Emulation - Google Android Developer - "Android 4.4 introduces an additional method of card emulation that does not involve a secure element, called host-based card emulation. This allows any Android application to emulate a card and talk directly to the NFC reader."
- Virtual Currency ¥Coins Helps Foreign Developers Gain A Foothold In Japan - TechCrunch - "Mobile services cloud company Infobip has launched ¥Coins (pronounced Yen Coins), a virtual currency for Japanese mobile users."
- Making Sense of the Durbin Amendment - Emerging Payments Strategies - "The best course of action for FIs remains this: Don’t wait for the ruling to go through. Right now, take a decisive action such as adding features and function."
- How Cell Phones Are Transforming the World of Microfinance - The Daily Ticker - ""Three billion people in the world do not have any access to affordable, reliable financial products," says Mary Ellen Iskenderian, CEO of Women's World Banking..."
On the wires:
- Sprint and Vantiv Launch Tablet-Based Point-of-Sale - "Vantiv Mobile Checkout, powered by NCR Silver, helps make it easier and more affordable for businesses to transition away from traditional cash registers and manual processes to the latest integrated technology."
- Macy’s Enhances Its Mobile Consumer Engagement Offerings with the Launch of NantMobile iD Visual Recognition Technology - "See it, scan it, shop it, will be the mantra of tech-savvy mobile customers this holiday season at Macy’s with the upcoming integration of NantMobile’s iD visual recognition technology."
- Wallaby Financial Presents Data on Consumer Credit Card Spending Patterns at National Retailers, Restaurants, Hotels, and Airlines - "Wallaby Financial ... today released an infographic that compares the average amount spent at a number of leading US merchants, hotels and airlines."
- Bluefin Payment Systems Partners with Medtask to Provide Integrated Payment Processing - “Medtask is a trusted service provider with an excellent reputation in the medical industry,” stated John M. Perry, Bluefin CEO
- TSYS Merchant InsightsSM Allows Customers to Monitor Impacts of Social Media - “We developed our cloud-based Insights solution to help brick-and-mortar businesses better understand their performance and benchmark themselves against competitors,” said Jim Egbert, chief executive officer, Womply.
- Square Stand now available in more than 1,000 Staples stores and at Staples.com - “With Square Stand in Staples, we are making it even easier for merchants to replace their old point-of-sale systems with fast, beautiful, and easy-to-use hardware from Square."
- Intuit Connects Small Business Users to Certified ProAdvisors Inside QuickBooks Online - "Intuit is looking to connect its more than 500,000 QuickBooks Online paid subscribers and 1.48 million users across 124 countries with accounting professionals that know, use, love and are certified in QuickBooks Online."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking on New Payments Regulation in Brazil at the International Money Transmitter Conference in Miami, Nov 4-7, 2013.
- Glenbrook's Jacqueline Chilton will be speaking social media and payments at the W.net Northern California LINC Networking event being held November 14 at Google.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews