On the Web:
- Inside Bitcoin - John Patrick - "Banks, credit card companies, and money transfer companies do not like Bitcoin because the new digital currency model threatens the status quo and related fees. In the early days of the World Wide Web, there were similar views to what we hear about Bitcoin."
- The MTA Plans to Turn New Yorkers’ Smartphones into Subway Passes - Skift - "The MTA plans to have a next-generation fare payment system in place by 2019, says agency spokesman Aaron Donovan."
- Real-time Fraud Prevention - Emerging Payments Strategies (FIS) - "The better your anti-fraud strategies and solutions, the better you’ll be at protecting your institution and your cardholders. These pressures are driving the industry toward more and more real-time solutions that attempt to stop fraud before it starts."
- Bitcoin isn’t Money—It’s the Internet of Money - The Umlaut (Eli Dourado) - "The Internet model improves upon the traditional telephone model by making possible what Vint Cerf calls “permissionless innovation.” Tim Berners-Lee was able to launch the World Wide Web without waiting for Internet service providers to support it."
- Bitcoin Woos Washington to Ensure Lawmakers Don’t Kill It - Bloomberg - "The outreach is aimed at ensuring that wary lawmakers don’t kill the embryonic industry and regulators provide a clear set of rules to play by."
- Bitcoin Banned by Alibaba’s Taobao After China Tightens Rules - Bloomberg - "Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., China’s largest e-commerce website, will ban the sale of Bitcoin and other virtual currencies after the country’s central bank tightened regulations in December."
- Alibaba Online-Payment Affiliate Teams With Sina Corp. - "The affiliate, called Alipay, said on its official microblog account that the new service allows users of Sina's Weibo microblog service to make online and offline payments through their Alipay accounts."
On the Wires:
- Federal Reserve Consumer Credit - G.19 Report - "In November, consumer credit increased at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 4-3/4 percent. Revolving credit increased at an annual rate of 1/2 percent, while nonrevolving credit increased at an annual rate of 6-1/2 percent."
- Adyen Appoints Kamran Zaki as President – Adyen North America - "Kamran joins Adyen from Netflix, where he served as the Head of Global Payments for the past two years and helped expand the Netflix streaming service to more than 40 million members across more than 40 countries."
- Bluefin Payment Systems Introduces the QuickSwipeTM Mobile POS System - “QuickSwipe brings ISVs, SaaS providers, and merchants an innovative mobile POS system that offers everything a company needs to run their business efficiently – and securely,” said John M. Perry, CEO of Bluefin.
- NCR Launches Innovative Ecosystem of Digital Solutions for the Retail Industry - "By using an advanced integration layer, NCR’s consumer-facing touchpoints can be linked to NCR Cloud Connect. This allows technology companies to seamlessly introduce services such as mobile payments, digital coupons, big data analytics and augmented reality shopping, simply by joining the NCR Cloud Connect ecosystem."
- ETA Announces Visa and Google Keynotes for "TRANSACT 14: Powered by ETA" - "Elizabeth Buse, Executive Vice President, Global Solutions at Visa and Ariel Bardin, VP of Product Management, Payments, Google Inc., will deliver industry insights and expertise to 4,000 payments technology and retail professionals."
- hyperWALLET Provides Global Payment Solution to Multi-Billion Dollar Direct Selling Company - "Forever Living has launched hyperWALLET’s branded payment services to provide a unified, multi-currency commission payment solution for their organization and Distributors."
- Chase Celebrates ‘Big Game Week’ at the Chase United VIP Lounge Exclusively for United MileagePlus® Cardmembers - "From January 29 to February 2, Chase United MileagePlus Cardmembers are welcome–along with up to four guests–to visit the VIP Lounge at Restaurateur Guy Fieri’s Guy’s American Kitchen and Bar in Times Square."
- The Seattle Times Joins doxo to Simplify Bill Delivery and Payment for Subscribers - "With doxo, Seattle Times’ subscribers are now able to manage the bill delivery and payment of their Seattle Times account from their free, secure doxo digital file cabinet – online or via their doxo mobile app for iPhone or Android."
- Ron Totaro Joins Pitney Bowes as General Manager, Global Financial Services - "Totaro will be leading a team that is responsible for the strategic planning execution and P&L of the global payments and leasing businesses for Pitney Bowes."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews