On the Web:
- a16z Podcast: The (Definite) Optimism of Peter Thiel - Andreessen Horowitz - A great interview of Peter Thiel by Marc Andreessen!
- Shopping With Apple Pay: Seamless in Stores but Quirky Online - New York Times - "So Apple Pay seems to be halfway there. Shopping in stores using the service was carefree and futuristic, but the app experience will obviously be harder to get right."
- Can a phone replace your wallet? I went shopping to find out. - CNET - "Mobile payments aren't new, and Apple isn't the first to think of replacing the wallet with the phone. But it will be the first to make paying with our phones something we actually do. And it's all thanks to perfect timing."
- Banks: Credit Card Breach at Staples Stores - Krebs on Security - "Staples says it is investigating “a potential issue” and has contacted law enforcement."
- As Apple Pay Arrives, Witnessing the Next Step in Money. Maybe. - “My dream scenario is to carry only my phone and cash.”
- Apple Pay FAQ
- Apple Pay security and privacy overview
- Square Testing New Payroll Product as Ambition Grows - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - "Square is running a pilot test for a new payroll product as the company continues to expand its offerings to complement its main payments business."
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Brings Contactless Payment to the 2014 World Series - "MasterCard is bringing contactless acceptance to ballpark food and beverage concessions at the 2014 World Series through a partnership with mobile technology leader MLB Advanced Media, enabling fans to make payments using a variety of NFC-enabled devices and services, including the newly introduced Apple Pay."
- Google Launches Security Key, World’s First Deployment of Fast Identity Online Universal Second Factor (FIDO U2F) Authentication - "We congratulate Google for making FIDO U2F authentication an option for their users,” said Michael Barrett, president of the FIDO Alliance. “With large scale deployments of FIDO UAF in payments applications from PayPal, Samsung, AliPay, Nok Nok Labs, and Synaptics, and today’s announcement of FIDO U2F authentication by Google, there is no doubt that a new era has arrived."
- Jumio Introduces BAM Checkout to Enable Frictionless Mobile Transactions - "BAM Checkout’s embeddable solution provides a frictionless checkout experience by enabling users to bypass nearly all manual key entry when completing a mobile purchase."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- The next session of Glenbrook's Payments Boot Camp will be held Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA. Join us!
- Glenbrook's Bitcoin: Basics and Beyond Workshop will be held Nov 19 in New York City
- Money20/20 as become the go-to event in payments... we'll be there in force. The agenda is now available and the event is 90% sold out - if you've been waiting, it's time to register! Use this promo code to register and receive a 20% discount: "GLENBR20"
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews