ON THE WEB
- How PayPal Plans to Get Back on Top in Digital Payments - Fortune - “PayPal’s biggest challenge right now is shaking off its past.”
- Why Central Banks Will Issue Digital Currency - Medium (Adam Ludwin/CEO of Chain) - "If a central bank can now issue digital currency, why stop at issuing this currency to banks? Why not consider issuing it to non-bank financial companies? Why not corporations? Why not individuals?"
- Apple Pay: FUD vs. the future - iMore.com - "Even though it's early days, Apple Pay has already become one of the most compelling services on the market. And it's still growing."
- Stripe Hopes to Profit From PayPal’s Turkey Exit - Wall St. Journal - "Patrick Collison, co-founder and chief executive of Stripe, an online payments company, last week started pushing to get more business in Turkey after its larger rival PayPal announced an exit late Monday."
- Olympic athletes will sport Visa's new payment ring in Rio - Engadget - "The interior contains a secure microchip from Gemalto and an embedded antenna; the exterior is simply a black or white ceramic loop."
- The New York Fed Came This Close to Stopping the $81 Million Cyber Bank Heist - "Later in the day, however, the cyber thieves resubmitted those 35 requests. On the second try, the messages had the proper formatting, the New York Fed official said."
- Podcast: Disruptive Technologies FIs Need to Know - TMG Blog - "I chatted with Pam Brodsack, TMG’s Chief Technology Officer, about application programing interfaces (APIs), machine learning, Adaptive Security Architecture (ASA), the Device Mesh and blockchain technology."
ON THE WIRES
- Finance Professionals Concerned about Payments Fraud as more Transactions Become Paperless - “Corporate treasurers need to have conversations with their banking partners to establish controls within their payments processing and accounts, and find better ways to implement layered defenses and detect fraudulent activity.”
- GlobalPlatform Technology Deployed on 17.7 Billion Secure Elements - "A total 14.7 billion SIMs and 2.8 billion banking cards, in circulation since 2010, are estimated to be based on GlobalPlatform technology."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!