On the Web:
- Bitcoin Is Pointless as a Currency, But It Could Change the World Anyway - Wired (Felix Martin) - "As Europe’s medieval merchant-bankers proved, a brilliant new means of recording and verifying money transfers can indeed be a revolutionary event — not just in economic, but in political terms."
- Square Market Partners With Coinbase To Accept Bitcoin - TechCrunch - "Square is working with Coinbase to process bitcoin exchange."
- Who’s Behind the ‘BLS Weblearn’ Credit Card Scam? - Krebs on Security - "A new rash of credit and debit card scams involving bogus sub-$15 charges and attributed to a company called “BLS Weblearn” is part of a prolific international scheme designed to fleece unwary consumers."
- Bitcoin Tax Ruling - Credit Slips Blog (Adam Levitin) - "For a payments geek, the real lesson from the IRS Bitcoin ruling is that for a currency--or any payment system--to work, its units must be completely fungible."
- Why Bitcoin Faces an Uphill Battle in the Remittance Market - CoinDesk - "Perhaps most notable of Brown’s concerns was that current regulation poses a formidable barrier even to new traditional remittance businesses."
On the Wires:
- Small Businesses Get Time Back With Square’s Accounting Integrations - "Today Square launched its software partner platform, collaborating with third parties to build new applications that complement Square’s suite of business services. The launch extends Works with Square, a program launched earlier this year to connect customers with more tools for their businesses."
- Mercury Payment Systems Files S-1 Registration Statement for Initial Public Offering of Its Class A Common Stock - "Mercury Payment Systems, Inc., a payments technology and services provider for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) in the United States and Canada, announced today that it has filed a registration statement on Form S-1 with the Securities and Exchange Commission for a proposed initial public offering of its Class A common stock."
- Fandango, Credit Karma Settle FTC Charges that They Deceived Consumers By Failing to Securely Transmit Sensitive Personal Information - Federal Trade Commission - "The FTC alleged that, despite their security promises, Fandango and Credit Karma failed to take reasonable steps to secure their mobile apps, leaving consumers’ sensitive personal information at risk."
- OfferPipe Simplifies Mobile Card-Linked Offers for Merchants - "OfferPipe helps small- and medium-sized businesses, known as SMBs, tap into large new audiences through mobile advertising placements and personalized offers on Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare and other social media outlets."
- Green Dot Announces New and Improved Retail Cash Reload Process for Customers of Its Industry-Leading Green Dot Reload Network - "As the name implies, “Reload @ the Register” lets prepaid cardholders simply go to the register at any participating retailer to conduct their cash reload transaction."
- GlobalCollect Introduces Business Intelligence Solution to Optimize Payments for Merchants - "Elevate combines GlobalCollect’s payments knowledge with strategic guidance from leading international eCommerce companies and the industry-leading data visualization platform by Tableau Software*, to create a payments intelligence solution consisting of highly interactive management dashboards that answer real business questions."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: May 6-7 and Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews