ON THE WEB
- Balance Due: Credit-Card Debt Nears $1 Trillion as Banks Push Plastic - Wall St. Journal - "Credit cards are one of the few business lines working for banks right now."
- A Service to Pay Off High-Interest Credit Cards, but a Bad Time to Start - New York Times - "Tally gets the money to pay off your cards by bundling the loans it has made to other customers and selling them to investors as asset-backed securities."
- Alarmed Swift Urges Banks to Report Hacking Attempts - Wall St. Journal - "Swift said it has a new program for beefing up security that it will detail next week, following feedback from a board committee and its regulators."
- PayPal Stock Undercuts Key Levels As Investor Day Fails To Ease Fears - Investor's Business Daily - "PayPal shares fell Thursday, after the digital payments giant’s investor day showcased ambitious plans but failed to alleviate Wall Street’s fears of competition."
ON THE WIRES
- Tally Secures $15M in Series A Funding Led by Shasta Ventures - "Credit cards are designed to make money off us," said Jason Brown, Tally co-founder and CEO. "Banks bundle attractive rewards with high APRs and fees, then spend millions selling us on the positives. Tally unbundles the credit card so you get all the rewards without the added costs."
- Discover First to Offer FICO® Credit Scores for Free to Everyone as Part of New Credit Scorecard - "Starting today, everyone can check their FICO® Credit Score for free by using Discover’s new Credit Scorecard, including those who are not Discover customers. In addition to providing the credit score that 90 percent of top lenders use, Credit Scorecard provides a summary of the data that determines an individual’s FICO® Score."
- Heartland Announces the Launch of Heartland Insights – Turning Data into Action - "Designed specifically for small and medium-sized businesses, Insights leverages Heartland’s acquisition of Beanstalk Data to help restaurants seamlessly integrate their customer relationship management (CRM) systems and marketing and engagement programs with the Heartland point-of-sale (POS) and ecommerce solutions."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!