Dennis Moser - In Memoriam
- Last week, on New Year's Day 2015, we lost our long-time friend and Glenbrook colleague Dennis Moser. Our tributes to Dennis are included here - if you knew and worked with Dennis, we'd welcome you adding your own memories of him.
On the Web:
- Why New Credit Cards May Fall Short on Fraud Control - Wall St. Journal - "Big U.S. banks are steering clear of an advanced security measure used in credit cards around the world, opting for a system that is more convenient for shoppers but may leave them vulnerable to fraud."
- Wire-Transfer Provider Xoom Hit by $31 Million International Fraud Scam - Digital Transactions - "Online wire-transfer provider Xoom Inc. reported Monday that it will take a $30.8 million one-time charge as a result of a scam in which the same amount of its cash was transferred abroad."
- Tencent ushers China into the Internet banking era with the launch of WeBank - PandoDaily - "Tencent, maker of the hugely popular WeChat mobile chat application (as well as QQ instant messenger, Weibo microblogging platform, Dididache Taxi service, and PaiPai ecommerce platform) is the largest shareholder in the similarly named WeBank, with a 30 percent stake."
- Making Change: Mobile Pay in Africa - Wall St. Journal - "Across Kenya, mobile money is breathing life into micro business. Companies whose business models are based on mobile payments have shown how targeting some of the world’s poorest customers can not only pay but also be a promising way to grow."
- A Day with Apple Pay - New York Times - "Over all, though, my day of shopping showed that retailers and their cashiers have room for improvement when it comes to accepting and understanding mobile payments."
- Intel unveils app that opens sites with user's face - USA Today - "Our goal is the elimination of passwords altogether," says Mark Hocking, a vice president with Intel Security.
- No credit - Dr. Drang's Blog - "Tomorrow, I’ll start using my fifth credit card in the past 12 months. ... I’m not the only one who’s fed up with continually changing the credit card number on file with the companies I do business with."
On the Wires:
- Progreso Financiero Soon to be Known as Oportun - "For over 8 years, our approach to lending has spearheaded the field of responsible, affordable and sustainable finance for the underserved. As we continue our mission, we want a name that builds on our customers’ perception of our company and what we do for them, and we wanted the name to be short and memorable. Oportun is based on the word Oportunidad, the Spanish word for Opportunity,” said Raul Vazquez, CEO of Progreso Financiero.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews