ON THE WEB
- MasterCard exec: Selfie payment verification is viable for in-app purchases - Mobile Commerce Daily - “I think [selfie pay] is incredibly viable for in-app purchases in particular,” said Karen Pascoe, senior vice president of user experience at MasterCard.
- Beyond the wallet: how will you be paying for things in 2021? - TechRadar - "It's making payments as seamless as possible. You can imagine so many different contexts for it to happen. So it's looking for transformational experiences."
- Payments bank dreams go awry before take-off - Business Standard - "Of the 11 licence holders, only eight remain in the fray as concerns about profitability and rising competition are making them think twice before jumping in."
- Narendra Modi Outlines the Government’s Grand Plans for State-Run Banks - Wall St. Journal - "Mr. Modi said the government first has to resolve the “huge legacy problem” that afflicts Indian banks, which stems “partly from politically-induced crony lending, and partly from the global slowdown.”"
- Survey: Americans are pretty clueless on credit cards and scores - USA Today - "The survey of more than 2,000 adults shows that most Americans don’t understand the effects that common actions have on their credit scores, largely underestimate how many credit scores they have, and don’t understand how credit card interest works."
- Credit cards thing of past? Kettering company creating new technology - Dayton Daily News - "Synchrony Financial ... has opened what it calls an “innovation station” — a place where new technology in arranging consumer financing is developed and tested."
ON THE WIRES
- MasterCard: U.S. EMV Adoption by Merchants, Issuers Continues - "To drive further collaboration and progress, MasterCard announced today it is working with other payments networks, acquirers, and processors on a standard to speed checkout times. These efforts will be based on the company’s M/Chip Fast solution..."
- 7 in 10 Prepaid Cards Are Hiding Fees - CreditCards.com - "American Express Bluebird, American Express Serve and Green Dot Visa Gold were the only cards analyzed to meet the proposed disclosure guidelines set forth by the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)."
- UnionPay Gift Cards Now Available in the United States, Offer Unrivaled Acceptance in Asia - "U.S. banks and credit unions can now offer the UnionPay Gift Card--an ideal solution for the growing number of U.S. consumers traveling to Asia."
- First Data Partners with the New York Mets to Salute Our Nation’s Veterans - “As we enter into this Memorial Day weekend, First Data expresses its gratitude for the veterans and military families who served and sacrificed on our behalf,” said Tom Higgins, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, First Data Corporation.
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!