On the Web:
- Apple’s Earnings Surge From Strong iPhones Sales in China - New York Times - "Apple said it sold 74.5 million iPhones over the quarter. Financial analysts had predicted that Apple would sell 62 million to 71.5 million iPhones."
- YC-Backed Final Raises A Million For Its Fraud-Fighting Credit Card - TechCrunch - "Co-founders Aaron Frank, Matt Rothstein, and Andrew Dietrich say they first came up with the idea for a credit card that better protects against fraud after all becoming victims of the Target data breach in 2013."
- How a little story written in July, 2012 telegraphed TouchID and Apple Pay - Medium (Brian Roemmele) - "On an unseasonably cold summer day, at about 10 a.m. on July 27th, 2012 I sat down and posted an answer to a question presented on Quora. Apple had just acquired a relatively unknown company called AuthenTec and to most of the world it seemed to not make much sense."
- With PayPal spinoff imminent, eBay raids Apple for payments talent - SFGate.com - "Analysts predict Apple Pay, the company’s new mobile payments platform, will revolutionize retail. With PayPal gone, eBay must get something out of the door soon."
- Digital-Payments Company Ripple Labs Is Finalizing a $30 Million Funding Round - Wall St. Journal - "A person familiar with the situation said the deal places the post-money valuation of the San Francisco startup at about $100 million."
- New Apple Pay Deal Gives It Greater Presence In A Key Market: Self-Serve - "The roll-out will bring Apple Pay to coffee machines, snack dispensers, laundromats, goods kiosks, amusement part ticket machines, car wastes, transit ticket and taxi terminals and more."
On the Wires:
- USA Technologies Announces Support for Apple Pay - "This immediately adds approximately 200,000 Apple Pay acceptance points to the growing list of locations officially supporting Apple Pay, bringing the advanced mobile payments service to owners and operators of coffee brewers, vending machines, kiosks, laundry equipment, parking pay stations and other self-serve appliances."
- Blackhawk Network Announces Launch of Blackhawk Engagement Solutions - "Blackhawk Network is a leader in providing unique and easily accessible prepaid and egift content. It was natural for us to extend our solutions beyond retail with the incentives marketplace where we meet needs of consumers, employees and business partners," said Talbott Roche, Blackhawk Network's president.
- Digital River Expands in India Through a Partnership with Ecommerce Provider Net Distribution Services - “Ecommerce is evolving at a rapid pace in India,” said Ajay Miglani, chief executive officer of NDS. “We are very excited to be working with Digital River to deliver a high-performance ecommerce solution to the market and accelerate our clients’ online expansion plans.”
- New Publication Establishes Guidelines for Evolving Payroll Card Industry - “A high-quality card can help hard-working Americans plan for the future and take control of their financial health,” said Jennifer Tescher, President & CEO, CFSI. “We are pleased that MasterCard and Visa are putting our Compass Guide to Payroll Cards into practice, and we look forward to working with them to ensure consumers have access to the high-quality products they need.”
- Western Union Offers Apple Pay™ as New Pay-In Option for Money Transfer Customers - “Our customers have an expectation of using mobile technology to make money transfer service and product accessibility easier. Western Union is rising to the occasion as we harness our system with modifications to link cash and digital transfers between retail locations, mobile phones, prepaid cards, online and traditional bank accounts and ATMs,” said David Thompson, Executive Vice President, Global Operations and Technology and Chief Information Officer.
- TCF Bank Now Offering Apple Pay Integration with Debit and Credit Cards - “Consumers want fast, convenient and secure ways to pay for purchases,” said Mark Jeter, Managing Director of Branch Banking at TCF Bank. “With Apple Pay, TCF Bank customers now can make payments at thousands of participating retailers or when they make in-app purchases with the confidence that their personal and financial information is protected.”
- TSYS and Banco CSF S.A. Extend Payments Agreement - "TSYS supports Carrefour’s 12 million hybrid and private-label cards in circulation in Brazil on its market-leading TS Prime® processing solution. The Carrefour portfolio has grown 64% since the Carrefour and TSYS card program began in 2012."
- Prosper Marketplace Acquires American HealthCare Lending - “This acquisition is an important part of our strategy to grow awareness and expand our product offerings and capabilities into new vertical markets,” said Aaron Vermut, CEO, Prosper Marketplace.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education Schedule Now Available!
- Our payments education schedule for this year is now available. Our spring Payments Boot Camp sessions begin in Menlo Park, CA on March 3-4 followed by New York City on April 14-15. We're also holding two one-day Insight Workshops this spring - B2B Payments on March 5 in Menlo Park and Payments for the Unbanked on April 16 in New York City.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews