Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- How Millennials Became Spooked by Credit Cards - The New York Times - "It is clear to economists who study payment patterns that millennials are gravitating toward payment methods that skirt both cash and credit. Why carry cash when you can whip out a debit card for the smallest transaction — a sandwich or a bottle of soda — or use an app like Venmo or an online payment service like PayPal? All of those typically draw funds directly from a bank account."
- UnionPay’s mobile payments land in North America with Canada debut - TechCrunch - "The launch today brings UnionPay’s QuickPass mobile payments system to a number of “daily-spending” merchants in Canada, which is the first North American availability of the system."
- Peer-to-peer payment app Cookies launches in Germany - TechCrunch - "You can add an emoji with your payment. Cookies call them paymojis, and some of them have special powers. For instance, the lightning paymoji lets you send a lightning-fast super payment. While it takes 1 to 3 business days for a normal payment, a super payment only takes 5 to 120 minutes."
- Self-Service Checkouts Can Turn Customers Into Shoplifters, Study Says - The New York Times - "Self-service checkout technology may offer convenience and speed, but it also helps turn law-abiding shoppers into petty thieves by giving them “ready-made excuses” to take merchandise without paying, two criminologists say."
ON THE WIRES
- JPMorgan Chase Signs Phillips 66 to Accept Chase Pay - "Phillips 66 joins a host of merchants in signing up to accept Chase Pay, which gives Chase customers an easy, secure and rewarding way to pay for purchases. The fuel retailer is also a key member of the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), a strategic Chase Pay relationship."
- ACI Worldwide Integrates Ethoca Alerts into Global eCommerce Payments Gateway - "ACI will integrate Ethoca’s flagship service, Ethoca Alerts, into its UP eCommerce Payments solution, making it available to payment service providers (PSPs) worldwide, and by extension, to thousands of leading online merchants worldwide."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!