On the web:
- Mapping Bitcoin - New York Times Bits Blog - "One striking thing about the map: Bitcoin is increasingly a Chinese craze."
- Bitcoin: More than Money - Reason.com (Jerry Brito) - "At its core, Bitcoin is a completely decentralized ledger system. It can be thought of as a massive online version of an accountant's book in which transactions are recorded by deducting from one account and adding to another."
- Buying Your Holiday Gifts With Bitcoin AVC.com (Fred Wilson) - "When the citizens of the world will be able to buy and sell from each other and from retailers of all shapes and sizes via Bitcoin, then we will have truly realized the potential of a global digital currency."
- Regulators See Value in Bitcoin, and Investors Hasten to Agree - New York Times - "The virtual currency bitcoin took a big step toward the mainstream on Monday as federal authorities signaled their willingness to accept it as a legitimate payment alternative."
- Authorities See Worth of Bitcoin - Wall St. Journal - "Senior U.S. law-enforcement and regulatory officials said they see benefits in digital forms of money and are making progress in tackling its risks."
- This Senate hearing is a Bitcoin lovefest - Washington Post - "All three Obama administration officials expressed concern about Bitcoin being used for illicit uses. But they also stressed that Bitcoin has important legitimate uses and that regulators need to be careful not to stifle innovation in virtual currencies."
- IngoMoney cashes in $8.4M from Camden Partners - Atlanta Business Journal - "Ingo's algorithms decide in real time whether or not it's a safe risk for a customer bank to accept a check."
- A Day in the Life of Getting Isis Mobile Payments Up & Running - "Since the ISIS mobile payment platform launched nationwide last week, I decided to give it a try."
- PR Agencies: What the Visa Shakeup Could Mean for the Industry - "But Visa is the first to draw a line in the sand and have their internal workforce add the work of three agencies to their assumedly already packed to-do lists, choosing not to outsource at all."
On the wires:
- Index Raises 7MM Series A from Eric Schmidt, Vinod Khosla to Revolutionize In-Store Customer Engagement - "Founded by former Google Wallet executives Marc Freed-Finnegan and Jonathan Wall, Index helps top retailers recognize their customers across channels to deliver personalization that builds loyalty and strengthens customer relationships."
- hyperWALLET to Integrate with PayNearMe to Offer Cash-Payment Acceptance Options - "The integration with PayNearMe will enable hyperWALLET, whose global payment solutions and brandable prepaid-card products are utilized by over 150 corporations worldwide, to offer cash as a payment acceptance option for the first time."
- SecureBuy Donates Technology to Reduce Payment Fraud for All Online Retailers - "SecureBuy will make its SecureBuy 2.0, 3-D Secure® MPI available to merchants effective immediately, under a 10 year royalty free license."
- Barclays makes sending mobile payments easy with launch of ‘send a payment’ - "Barclays has launched another new feature within its award winning mobile app, Barclays Pingit, giving large businesses such as insurance companies, retailers and utility companies the ability to pay individuals using their mobile phone numbers."
- Thales Secures ROYALGATE’s Revolutionary New Mobile Card Acceptance Solution
- Norway’s Largest Bank DNB and Mobile Operator Telenor Select Gemalto for NFC Payment Service
- MasterCard and Worldline partner to integrate and deploy a digital wallet solution powered by MasterPass - "Worldline will develop a digital wallet platform with open interfaces available for card-issuing institutes based on MasterCard’s MasterPass technology."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews