ON THE WEB
- Blockstream Raises $55 Million to Build Out Bitcoin’s Blockchain Tech - CoinDesk - "Blockstream’s round was led by venture capital firms AXA Strategic Ventures, the venture capital arm of French multinational insurance firm AXA Group; Digital Garage, the Tokyo-based online payments firm co-founded by Joi Ito; and Hong Kong venture capital firm Horizons Ventures."
- EU to Step Up Checks on Bitcoin, Prepaid Cards to Fight Terrorism - New York Times - "The European Commission will propose by the end of June stricter rules on prepaid cards and virtual currencies in a bid to reduce anonymous payments and curb the financing of terrorism..."
- Germany Considers $5,450 Limit on Cash Transactions - New York Times - Meister said there's "the risk of terror financing and we also have the problem of how to clear up money-laundering offenses properly" when large transactions are conducted anonymously.
ON THE WIRES
- D+H Achieves Industry First by Applying Distributed Ledger Blockchain Technology to Its Global Payment Services Hub - " Financial institutions using D+H's payments hub will be able to utilize a secure, closed loop distributed ledger system to connect bank networks, move money in real-time, and improve access to liquidity. Using the solution, peer-to-peer payments can be made in real-time, benefitting from the anonymity inherent in blockchain technology to ensure security and reduce risk."
- Seamless Partners with Xpress Money and Enters the International Money Transfer Market - “The partnership with Xpress Money is evidence of the versatility of SEQR as a payment platform and financial ecosystem. We are very excited to be entering the international money transfer market with such an important global player”, says Peter Fredell, CEO of Seamless, provider of the digital payment platform SEQR.
- Luxury Card Launches Three State-of-the-Art Metal Cards with Extraordinary Benefits, Powered by MasterCard - "Luxury Card is the only credit card program in the world to offer a complete suite of metal and carbon cards, a proprietary 24K-gold-plated card and unlimited cash back redemptions up to 2%."
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson will be at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 22-25. Let her know if you will be there!
- Real Time Payments in the US: Implications for the Payment Industry - Atlanta, GA - February 10, 2016. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be moderating this discussion on what "faster payments" really means, how it's been implemented in other countries, and how it may shape banking and how we pay.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!