In summary: if building Whitepages for #bitcoin or otherwise using existing social networks + BTC to facilitate trade, do get in touch :)— Balaji S. Srinivasan (@balajis) February 21, 2014
On the Web:
- Square Cash, Free for Now, Has Several Payment Perks - New York Times - "It’s rare that any new product or service quickly and simply makes our financial lives a whole lot easier. It’s rarer still that the offering is free."
- A Better Credit Card - New York Times - "Is there no way to protect aging parents from such predators, short of taking charge of their finances?"
- Why Simple, the Anti-Bank, Sold To A Giant Real Bank - Re/code.net (Jason Del Rey) - “What’s different from a lot of other banks and people is that BBVA has a history of building much more of a holding company structure..."
- Visa’s Shiv Singh: This Year, Brands Will Learn How to Measure Real-Time Marketing - eMarketer - "One of the things that we’re pushing is connecting social insights with pop culture and with content, not just in social, but across all channels and mediums."
- With $8M In Fresh Funding, Ezetap Is More Than Just A Square For Emerging Markets - TechCrunch - "Ezetap is raising $8 million in Series B funding led by Helion Advisors, Social+Capital and Berggruen Holdings."
- Will Cyprus become Bitcoin's global financial centre? An interview with Jon Matonis of the Bitcoin Foundation - Financial Services Club Blog (Chris Skinner) - "Jon describes bitcoin as money without government which gives you one insight."
- Why Bitcoin Scares the Crap Out of Governments and Banks - The Innovation Blog (Simon Taylor) - "To understand why Bitcoin is such a breakthrough, it helps to understand why we have organised ourselves with Governments, Banks and Religion for the last several thousand years…"
- Top UK Payments Body Weighs in on Bitcoin’s Future - CoinDesk - “As shopping habits are increasingly moving across borders and continents, it seems certain that there will be real opportunities for virtual currency providers who are outside of traditional domestic banking systems.”
- Gemalto Drops as Visa Backs Rival Mobile Payment Systems - Bloomberg Technology - "New capabilities include an option to host accounts “in a secure, virtual cloud,” Foster City, California-based Visa said..."
- 5 Lessons Bankers Can Learn From WhatsApp - Bank Marketing Strategy (Jim Marous) - "The question is whether the banking industry can learn from these lessons and move away from tradition, developing products and services that reflect the digital transformation of today's mobile consumer."
On the Wires:
- BitPay Sponsors the LAUNCH Hackathon - "To encourage more development of open-source tools that benefit everybody in the bitcoin space, BitPay is offering developers of LAUNCH an additional financial incentive for projects that utilize BitPay’s Bitcoin Payment Gateway API or the open source library Bitcore."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: March 18-19 in New York; May 6-7 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews