On the Web:
- SEPA for Cards – The New Ballgame - PaymentsViews.com (Manfred Schuck) - "In other words, interoperable card products – for both credit and debit – are on the top of the SEPA agenda." Why Do We Sign For Things? A Rabbi, A Lawyer And A MasterCard Exec Explain - Planet Money - "She says signatures are retrieved mainly when a customer calls and says, "I don't remember buying that." The bank can show the person the signatures, and it can help jog the customer's memory."
- Braintree Partners with Coinbase to Accept Bitcoin Payments - Coinbase Blog - "To accept bitcoin, Braintree merchants simply need to open a separate merchant account with Coinbase and then link to their Braintree account."
- Vodafone to launch UK mobile payments - FT.com
- Global Cash Access to Buy Multimedia Games for $1.12 Billion - Wall St. Journal - "The agreement comes as Multimedia Games has capitalized on the recent expansion of legalized gambling in several markets."
- Wearables, Payments, Chickens and Eggs - Stratechery (Ben Thompson) - "I suspect they will be quite happy to sit on top of traditional credit cards, just as the iPhone sits on top of traditional carriers."
- iBeacon Hack Makes It More Efficient To Wait Tables - TechCrunch - "The concept is to embed Bluetooth beacons into every restaurant table so that table occupancy can be remotely monitored via the restaurant’s point of sales software backend,..."
- How ACH works: A developer perspective - Part 4 - ZenPayroll Blog - "Part 4 of this post will go into the actual ACH file format."
- How Andreessen Horowitz Is Disrupting Silicon Valley - Medium (Peter Sims) - "Nearly overnight, Andreessen Horowitz has leaped into the top-tier of Silicon Valley venture capital firms, and the firm’s momentum has only increased thanks to some combination of brilliant salesmanship and marketing..."
On the Wires:
- BitPay Opens Larger Amsterdam Office - “Europeans are familiar with multiple currencies and are at the forefront of mobile technology adoption, so it’s easy to see why bitcoin is popular and widely-used.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join Elizabeth McQueery and Manfred Schuck for Glenbrook's Payments in Europe Workshop - Oct 9 in Palo Alto, CA
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421. I continue to strive for having PaymentsNews be your secret weapon!
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews