On the Web
- RushCard Breakdown Affects Thousands of Prepaid Debit Card Users - New York Times - "A technical problem had blocked account access for holders of one of the most popular prepaid cards, RushCard."
- Microsoft is getting serious about payments in Windows 10 - The Verge - "Windows is going to have a wallet concept. You’ve seen it on phones before. We’re going to continue to iterate it," Joe Belfiore, corporate VP of the company's operating systems group, said. "We’re going to think about the range of payment scenarios."
On the Wires
- Visa Launches New Platform to Help Card Issuers Market and Grow Their Business - "Visa Inc. today announced the launch of Visa Integrated Marketing Solutions (VIMS), a card marketing platform designed to help small to medium-sized issuers optimize their marketing efforts. The VIMS platform enables the development and execution of key marketing services across the customer lifecycle – from acquiring new customers to cardholder retention."
- W3C Starts Web Payments Standards Work to Streamline the Online "Check-Out" Process - "The industry has looked to digital wallets as a way to improve security and usability, as well as to support marketing initiatives. And yet, users have not yet wholeheartedly embraced them," said W3C CEO Dr. Jeff Jaffe. "We believe that one reason for this is that the digital wallet market is fragmented and providers use incompatible programming interfaces."
- Diebold Software Innovation Slashes Fraud Exposure Through Secure Onboarding To Digital Payments - "SimplyTapp believes extending consumer relationships through mobile devices is critical to the future of banking," said Doug Yeager, SimplyTapp chief executive officer and co-founder. "Together with Diebold's secure self-service technology and our leading Cloud Token Solution, the need for highly secure authentication and card onboarding can now be fully realized at the convenience and familiarity of a bank's ATM."
- Synchrony Financial Launches CarCareONE Mobile App to Deliver Account Servicing, Store Locator Functionality, and Special Offers to Millions of Cardholders’ Smartphones - “Our CarCareONE app offers a new platform for our automotive merchants to engage with their customers wherever they are,” said Glenn Marino, executive vice president & CEO of Synchrony Financial’s Payment Solutions platform. “We know that financing is an important consideration for drivers dealing with an unexpected repair or routine maintenance, and this innovative app provides CarCareONE cardholders a useful tool to manage their account, locate services for all their auto maintenance needs, and find valuable offers from our network of retailers and service shops across the country.”
- Buy With Affirm, Pay in Monthly Installments Now Available to 3dcart eCommerce Merchants - “Installments aren't just a slick way for consumers to temporarily defer payment," said Levchin. "It’s how Affirm helps eTailers boost sales and consumers, who may not have credit cards or who choose not to use them, pay for their purchases in a way that best matches their monthly budgets."
- Intuit and Fundbox Partner to Tackle #1 Pain Point Faced by Small Businesses: Cash Flow - Fundbox CEO Eyal Shinar added, “We are thrilled to become a more deeply embedded solution within Intuit’s QuickBooks ecosystem - we know millions of SMBs will benefit from this partnership.
- SumUp Expands To U.S. With Launch Of EMV Card Terminal - "It's a perfect time to bring SumUp to the U.S. The shift to EMV chip cards puts more costly fraud liability on stores without chip terminals -- but only half of small businesses are even aware of EMV liability," said Daniel Klein, CEO of SumUp. "EMV is the norm around the world, and SumUp is the platform of choice for EMV transactions in 14 countries today. We are here to help U.S. merchants and partners such as cash register vendors to transition quickly and securely to EMV, by making payments as easy as possible for their customers."
- Discover Financial Services Joins Banking Industry Architecture Network - "Discover Financial Services recently joined the Banking Industry Architecture Network, a not-for-profit industry standards association, to leverage a banking-industry-specific framework and standard messaging to speed the delivery of new products and services."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on October 20-21 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 22 on the topic of Virtual Currencies and Bitcoin.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!