On the Web:
- Back to Square One - Fast Company (Austin Carr) - "There's need for the urgency. Square's Reader and Register products are no longer unique; a slew of upstarts and big rivals such as PayPal, NCR, and VeriFone now offer their own equivalent iPad systems, which threaten to eat away at Square's merchant share and payments business."
- Reviewed: Xapo’s Bitcoin Debit Card - CoinDesk - "Upon debut, CoinDesk finds that the Xapo Debit Card has potential to be a useful bitcoin spending tool, but there are a few hiccups it must overcome first."
- Shift Is Developing A Debit Card That Lets You Spend Digital Currency, Loyalty Points And Regular Money - TechCrunch - "In the San Francisco Bay Area and elsewhere in the world, 100 people are testing out a debit card that lets them pay with bitcoin and Ripple, and, in the future, regular money and loyalty points."
- Partnering with Clover & First Data - GoodLabs Blog - "With such massive scale, we were obviously thrilled to launch our first in-store integration on their Clover platform, and we can’t say enough awesome things about partnering with them."
- First Data: Gyft Deal Will Help Us Evaluate Bitcoin - CoinDesk - "...though the focus of the acquisition was Gyft’s mobile gift card platform, the company intends to take advantage of Gyft’s position in the bitcoin space to further its knowledge of emerging payment methods."
- Black Hat 2014: A New Smartcard Hack - IEEE Spectrum - "The U.S. scheme is a mixture, with some banks issuing chip-and-PIN cards and others going down the signature route. We may therefore be about to see a large natural experiment as to whether it is better to authenticate transactions with a signature or a PIN."
- Improving Mobile Security with Biometrics - Portals and Rails Blog - "No matter what biometric authentication methodology a system uses, the most important step is validating each customer's biometrics upon enrollment in the program."
- New York Prosecutors Charge Payday Loan Firms With Usury - New York Times - "Beneath the dizzying corporate structure, prosecutors said, was a simple goal: make expensive loans even in states that outlawed them."
On the Wires:
- FleetCor Agrees to Acquire Comdata for $3.45 Billion - "As an issuer and a processor, Comdata provides fleet, virtual card, and gift card solutions to over 20,000 customers. It has approximately 1,300 employees and enables over $54 billion in payments annually."
- Square Announces New Accounting and Inventory Integrations for Canadian Businesses - "Square's partner platform connects Square sellers with new applications that complement Square's register service. Continuing to build upon Square's powerful, affordable and accessible business solutions, the QuickBooks Online, Xero and Stitch Labs integrations are designed to simplify operations for businesses throughout Canada."
- Digital River Expands Its Brazil Payments Offerings for Online Merchants - “Brazil is the fourth largest payment card market in the world,” said Souheil Badran, senior vice president and general manager of Digital River World Payments. “A number of our clients view Brazil as a strategic growth opportunity. We can help them navigate this highly complex market for cross border commerce, improve their authorization and conversion rates, and control overhead costs and risks associated with managing their own local entities.”
- TSYS Enables Secure Commerce with Tokenization - "The proliferation of “card-on-file” models, both remote and proximity, has created an industry need to produce and use tokens including: card-on-file at a merchant’s cart, digital wallets, QR and Bar codes, NFC and chip."
- CFPB Warns Consumers About Bitcoin - "“Virtual currencies may have potential benefits, but consumers need to be cautious and they need to be asking the right questions,” said CFPB Director Richard Cordray. “Virtual currencies are not backed by any government or central bank, and at this point consumers are stepping into the Wild West when they engage in the market.”
- Fiserv White Paper Outlines the Unique Mobile Banking Needs of Business Customers - “With more businesses using digital banking services, there is a focus on providing specialized mobile banking capabilities which cater to the needs of this attractive market segment,” said Teri Carstensen, division president, Bank Solutions, Fiserv.
- American Express unveils The Centurion(SM) Lounge in New York LaGuardia Airport - “New York might be the city that never sleeps, but our Card Members can now find an oasis at LaGuardia Airport to relax and refresh when they’re traveling into and out of the city,” said Lisa Durocher, Senior Vice President, Consumer Charge Cards & Benefits at American Express. “As our third Centurion Lounge, opening the LaGuardia Airport location marks a huge milestone for us, and brings us closer to our goal of creating a better airport experience for our Card Members.”
- Commerce Bank Introduces the USA Triathlon Visa® Rewards Credit Card - “We are excited to enter into a relationship with USA Triathlon and to offer their members a customized credit card as way to show their support for the organization and enthusiasm for one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S. Olympic movement,” said Chad Doza, Senior Vice President of Consumer Credit Card.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money/2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews