On the Web:
- We are excited to announce that Twitter is acquiring CardSpring! - CardSpring Blog - "When we started talking with the Twitter commerce team, we quickly realized our philosophies were perfectly aligned, and by joining them, we’d be able to significantly accelerate our vision."
- Welcoming CardSpring to the Twitter team - Twitter Advertising Blog - "We’re excited to announce we’ve agreed to acquire CardSpring, a payments infrastructure company that helps merchants work with leading publishers to create online-to-offline promotions."
- Coming Soon to Social Media: Click to Buy Now - New York Times Bits Blog - "A Twitter spokesman declined to comment on the imminence of a buy button, but in its blog post about CardSpring, the company teased, “We’ll have more information on our commerce direction in the future.”
- What the BRICS Tell Us About Payments - PaymentsViews.com (Elizabeth McQuerry) - "Are such state sponsored payments improvements the way to go? Am I prophesying that the end is near for private sector innovation in payments? Certainly not, or at least I hope not."
- Snapchat may be planning a mobile payment service - iMore.com - "The documents reveal that the ephemeral message service is looking to process peer-to-peer payments, money transfers and online payments."
- Investors Cash Out Of Payment Technology Startups - TechCrunch - "Even as a clutch of new payment technology companies including Zooz Mobile and Plastiq announce new financing rounds today, it seems like investors are no longer paying out for payment companies."
- Issuers – Why You Need to Plan for EMV Now - FIS Emerging Payment Strategies Blog - "While EMV is not a silver bullet, it is an improvement over magstripe. It may not have prevented some of the recent major breaches, but it would have reduced overall damage since there would have been fewer cards vulnerable to counterfeiting."
- New York’s New Bitcoin Rules Are Going to Kill Its Startups - Wired - "Is New York about to drive these startups out of town by clubbing them with onerous regulations before they can walk? Quite possibly."
On the Wires:
- NY DFS Releases Proposed Bitlicense Regulatory Framework for Virtual Currency Firms - "Benjamin M. Lawsky, Superintendent of Financial Services, today announced that the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) has issued for public comment a proposed “BitLicense” regulatory framework for New York virtual currency businesses. The proposed regulatory framework – which is the product of a nearly year-long DFS inquiry, including public hearings that the Department held in January 2014 – contains consumer protection, anti-money laundering compliance, and cyber security rules tailored for virtual currency firms."
- CU Wallet Reports Record Growth, 65 Credit Unions Join Mobile Wallet Movement - "Collaboration among credit unions continues to be one of our industry's greatest strengths,” said Keith Sultemeier, president and CEO of Kinecta Federal Credit Union. “The CU Wallet platform makes collaboration easy and efficient, but still allows credit unions to tailor the member experience."
- CashStar Launches Digital Gift Card Solution for Google Wallet - “With the rapid growth of omni-channel retail, digital gifting and smartphone adoption, CashStar’s vision is not ‘mobile first’ but rather ‘mobile everything,’” said Ben Kaplan, president and CEO of CashStar.
- MasterPass Now Live in 10 Countries with Launches in Poland and South Africa - “We’re extremely excited about new capabilities and delivering on the MasterPass vision of a fully integrated digital payments ecosystem that enables convenient, simple, fast and secure payments anytime, anywhere,” said Vib Prasad, Group Head, MasterPass at MasterCard.
- WEX Inc. Announces Signing of Definitive Purchase and Sale Agreement Related to the Acquisition of ExxonMobil’s Esso Card Program - “The purchase of the Esso Card portfolio remains an important element to building our on-the-ground presence in the European market, and enhances WEX’s long-term growth profile. Our efforts to advance this transaction remain on track and position us to create a substantial and profitable European footprint,” said Melissa Smith, WEX’s president and chief executive officer.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews