On the Web:
- Lending Start-Up Affirm Raises $275 Million - New York Times BITS Blog - "The new round was led by Spark Capital Growth, joined by new investors Jefferies and Andreessen Horowitz and existing investors Khosla Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners."
- Discover holds 2015 Financial Community Briefing - Discover - "Discover’s Vision: To be the leading direct bank and payments partner"
- FinCEN Fines Ripple Labs for Bank Secrecy Act Violations - CoinDesk - "When reached for comment, a spokesperson for the company sought to frame the decision as one that showcased the tribulations that can come with building a company in an emerging field."
- Thailand’s Omise Lands $2.6M To Expand Its Payment Gateway Across Asia - TechCrunch - "Omise, a Thailand-based payment enabler, is in the money today after it raised a $2.6 million Series A round to develop its payment gateway system and expand across Asia."
On the Wires:
- Pitney Bowes Expands Cross-Border Ecommerce Capabilities with the Acquisition of Borderfree - “The acquisition of Borderfree not only makes sense for our clients, it accelerates our strategic vision to grow our company through expansion of our digital commerce businesses,” said Marc B. Lautenbach, President and Chief Executive Officer, Pitney Bowes. “The combination of Borderfree’s cross-border ecommerce capabilities with our own solutions expands our portfolio of offerings and extends our global reach."
- FinCEN Fines Ripple Labs Inc. in First Civil Enforcement Action Against a Virtual Currency Exchanger - "Ripple Labs willfully violated several requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) by acting as a money services business (MSB) and selling its virtual currency, known as XRP, without registering with FinCEN, and by failing to implement and maintain an adequate anti-money laundering (AML) program designed to protect its products from use by money launderers or terrorist financiers."
- Tipalti Expands International ACH Global Payments Coverage - “As our network economy customers continue to expand their international partner and supplier footprint to new markets, we will continue to provide more and more payment options around the world to support our clients’ rapid global growth,” said Chen Amit, founder and CEO of Tipalti.
- WEX Inc. Introduces FlexCard, the New Revolving Fuel Card for Small Businesses - “Although many businesses are enjoying lower fuel prices today, our research shows that nearly half of businesses’ operating costs are fleet related and about half of that is for fuel,” said Peggy Watson, WEX’s vice president of North America fleet product and marketing. “For 30 years, WEX has helped businesses manage fuel and vehicle services expenses, and this customized solution addresses small businesses’ need for cash flow flexibility.”
- AcceptEmail, Western Europe’s Leader in Consumer Bill Payments, Opens for Business in New York - "AcceptEmail is the market leader for consumer remittances in Western Europe. IntelligentHQ.com named the company one ofEurope’s 50 Hottest FinTech Companies in 2014 for its smart email and mobile billing solutions. Companies that send AcceptEmails experience up to 50% quicker payments, 70% lower billing and reminder costs, and 20% improved customer satisfaction (net promoter scores)."
- Seamless Distribution AB: SEQR to Be Launched in the US This Summer - "SEQR has received a warm welcome here in the US, because of its value propositions for both the merchants and consumers. Having seasoned market industry personnel on staff has also been key to actively cultivating our partnerships and together we have developed the services to fit the local market, says Kenneth Douglas SVP Business and Partnership Development for SEQR in the US."
- Smart Payment Association (SPA) releases total market estimate 2014 figures - "In 2014, over 2050 million chip payment cards were shipped across the world. The figure was reached just three years after global shipments exceeded the one billion mark in 2011."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews