What I'm Reading
- This weekend your editor will be reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.
- Hamilton, the hit musical by Lin-Manuel Miranda now on Broadway, was inspired by this 2004 biography Alexander Hamilton. From the book's description: "In the first full-length biography of Alexander Hamilton in decades, National Book Award winner Ron Chernow tells the riveting story of a man who overcame all odds to shape, inspire, and scandalize the newborn America."
- How about you? What are you reading? Drop me a quick note and tell me about it: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the Web
- The Uberization of Money - Wall St. Journal - "Over the next decade, the familiar 20th-century modes of banking and investing will give way to something very different. We are on the verge of the Uberization of finance, which will bring multiple new opportunities but also a range of new risks."
- Discussion Paper Released: Exploring the Use of Anonymized Consumer Credit Information to Estimate Economic Conditions: An Application of Big Data - Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia - "The emergence of high-frequency administrative data and other big data offers an opportunity for improvements to economic forecasting models. This paper considers the potential advantages and limitations of using information contained in anonymized consumer credit reports for improving estimates of current and future economic conditions for various geographic areas and demographic markets."
- Square Sets Conservative I.P.O. Price Range - New York Times - "Even at the high end of the range set by Square, the valuation would be $4.2 billion, representing a 30 percent discount to the $6 billion that Square was valued at privately."
On the Wires
- U.S. Bank Introduces ScoreBoard, an Online Payment-Management Tool for Consumers - "Available through U.S. Bank internet banking, ScoreBoard features easy-to-read charts and graphs that provide a monthly snapshot of credit-card purchases and payments, such as travel, home improvement and gas purchases."
- Former Borderfree CEO Michael DeSimone Appointed as ShopKeep’s New Chief Operating Officer - “Over the past year ShopKeep has grown exponentially and it’s important for us to be strategic about how we continue to operate and scale the company,” said ShopKeep CEO and President, Norm Merritt. “Mike’s extensive experience in operations, as well as his deep understanding of the market, will be incredibly important to us as we work to introduce new services that benefit our merchants. I am excited to work closely with Mike to chart ShopKeep’s continued path forward, and further our mission of helping small businesses take back Main Street.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!